MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Nugetsius
On the road to being a farker

Default Karubecue C-60SS

Hey Everyone,
I'm pretty new to the site, this is my first post. Been BBQing all my life, but just recently moving from whole hog cookers (cowboy cookers)to the smaller and in my opinion easier charcoal cookers. I have been cooking on a BWS for a few months now, and I like it, but I started getting the itch for a stick burner type cooker. I didn't want a large one, and from what I have read, the small ones can be quite difficult to use. Enter the Karubecue. After about 6 months of research and talking to Bill Karau who makes these, I decided to pull the trigger. It arrived today and since I personally had trouble finding reviews and pictures, I thought I would put up a box opening today and then this weekend I will cook on it and post my thoughts on how it cooked. So, here we go.

The cooker arrived FEDEX in two boxes:
DSC02382.jpg

You can see that the cooker and associated parts were packed very tightly but well protected.
DSC02384.jpg

This is the cookbox, where hopefully the magic will happen!
DSC02386.jpg

This is the autodraft control box. It is KCBS legal.
DSC02387.jpg

I'll be nit picky here, the setpoint for the dial on the control box is not marked. I don't know how you set this except to put an external thermometer in the box and adjust the dial until its holding the temp you want, then you can make a reference mark or something. This is a guess, since I haven't used it yet. I'll update on that later.
DSC02388.jpg

The Firebox came with 2 envelopes packed inside of it and a string holding some cardboard around the backside of the firebox. The backside of the firebox has two poppet valves which allow the user to choose what type of smoke goes into the cookbox.
DSC02393.jpg
DSC02392.jpg

The two envelopes:
DSC02394.jpg

Contents of Envelope 1: Legs plus hardward to attach legs, plus fire poker.
DSC02395.jpg

Contents of Envelope 2: Firebox Tray and Firebox lid
DSC02397.jpg

The firebox tray slides into the middle of the firebox like this. The fire and coals sit on top of this tray and the ash falls beneath this tray.
DSC02398.jpg

The firebox lid simply fits over the firebox. I'm not 100% sure at this point, but I think this lid is only needed if your using "dirty smoke" from the top poppet valve.
DSC02400.jpg

Legs installed. I had a little trouble getting the legs just right. I kept having a corner too high or low. This was finally solved by keeping all of the mounting hardware loose and putting the cooker on a surface which was known to be flat (a countertop for me). Once on a flat surface, I tightened the hardware and all was good.
DSC02401.jpg

Two additional boxes. These hold the shelf racks and the shelves. The shelf racks are different that what is on the video on the website for Karubecue. One the video the racks are held in place with some wing-nuts. Now they simply hang from some tabs on the top.
DSC02403.jpg
DSC02404.jpg
DSC02405 2.jpg
The tabs which hold the shelf racks:
DSC02406 2.jpg

Shelf racks and racks installed:
DSC02407 2.jpg

The complete setup:
DSC02408 2.jpg

I didn't start a timer, but I think it took me about 1.5 hours to unpack and put everything together, and that was with my 4 year old "helping" me. My initial impressions are what I had hoped for: this thing seems well built and well thought out, even the way it was packaged was well thought out. I did run into one bump in the road, but didn't get any pictures of it. I noticed that the door when latched was not tight, so I made some adjustments. It was only after this adjustment, that I noticed that the handle for the door was installed on the inside of the door for shipping. You can see in the photo above, the handle is not visible.......because its inside of the cookbox. Dern. Well, after I moved that to the outside, the latch was too tight and I had to return to the original setting. Not a problem, just a note. I'm not sure how I overlooked that handle being in the wrong place, but I did.

So, if anyone has any questions or wants to see a picture of anything specifically, just let me know and I'll do my best to oblige. I also update when I cook on this thing this weekend. I'll be cooking two butts with applewood, South Carolina Lowcountry style......Vinegar and Pepper. YUM!
Nugetsius is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like that cooker is gonna be a lot of fun. Next up, lets see it fly!

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

wow nice

but I thought you wanted a stickburner?
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice and great pron.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice, lets see some pics of it in action
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Cool. I've been on the Karubecue site myself a couple of times. Very intriguing. Can't wait to see how these things cook.
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Nugetsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
wow nice

but I thought you wanted a stickburner?

Well, I did, and I have read (on this site as a matter of fact) that the definition of a stick burner is a smoker that uses nothing but wood for fuel and flavor, and this does exactly that. Besides the fans, it actually functions like an offset smoker. You still have to add wood every 30 minutes or so.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugetsius View Post
Well, I did, and I have read (on this site as a matter of fact) that the definition of a stick burner is a smoker that uses nothing but wood for fuel and flavor, and this does exactly that. Besides the fans, it actually functions like an offset smoker. You still have to add wood every 30 minutes or so.
I am on their site. Its very interesting and informative.

I dont think it actually functions like a stickburner though.

Seems more like a fan forced pellet burner unless I am not understanding it

It sure is a neat concept though!!!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Nice cooker. Little to fancy for me, but I do hope you have the best of luck and enjoy the new toy.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
Nugetsius

Quote:
I am on their site. Its very interesting and informative.

I dont think it actually functions like a stickburner though.

Seems more like a fan forced pellet burner unless I am not understanding it

It sure is a neat concept though!!!

That is a good point. The reality of it is, that this is its own cooker. I think the best comparison would be that it is a stick burner (no charcoal, no pellets) that works like a pellet cooker (forced draft, thermostat controlled). My personal thoughts on all cookers is that a pellet cooker is hard to beat. It has a perfect fire triangle, needs no tending, and temp is perfectly controlled. The one downfall of a pellet cooker is that it needs no tending, and that is part of smoking to me. I like playing with fire. Even with my BWS, I always put the wood in by hand so that I can open that door and look at my fire. Obviously to each his own and this won't be for everyone. Heck, it might not even be for me..... that remains to be seen.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
That is a good point. The reality of it is, that this is its own cooker. I think the best comparison would be that it is a stick burner (no charcoal, no pellets) that works like a pellet cooker (forced draft, thermostat controlled). My personal thoughts on all cookers is that a pellet cooker is hard to beat. It has a perfect fire triangle, needs no tending, and temp is perfectly controlled. The one downfall of a pellet cooker is that it needs no tending, and that is part of smoking to me. I like playing with fire. Even with my BWS, I always put the wood in by hand so that I can open that door and look at my fire. Obviously to each his own and this won't be for everyone. Heck, it might not even be for me..... that remains to be seen.
oh ok so it uses wood? I dont see any good pics of it, I cant get videos on my work pc. Are there pics of it on their website?

I saw an auger in your pics so I figured that was for pellets

Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Stoke that puppy up and lets get to cookin!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Nugetsius

Quote:
oh ok so it uses wood? I dont see any good pics of it, I cant get videos on my work pc. Are there pics of it on their website?

I saw an auger in your pics so I figured that was for pellets

The auger looking thing you saw is actually a fire poker. I'm currently doing a dry run on it. So far what I have noticed is that it got up to temp really fast, only 15 minutes. The other thing I have noticed is that initially it took a good bit of wood. I think that was to get a good coal bed. Now after an hour or so, its taking about two chunks of wood every 30 minutes. Its empty except for temp probes and the temps are varying between 240 and 260 and they are even top to bottom, which I didn't expect since the hot air is drawn in to the bottom of the cook box.

I'll put up some pictures soon of this dry run. I'll also put up a video showing how it works.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
The auger looking thing you saw is actually a fire poker. I'm currently doing a dry run on it. So far what I have noticed is that it got up to temp really fast, only 15 minutes. The other thing I have noticed is that initially it took a good bit of wood. I think that was to get a good coal bed. Now after an hour or so, its taking about two chunks of wood every 30 minutes. Its empty except for temp probes and the temps are varying between 240 and 260 and they are even top to bottom, which I didn't expect since the hot air is drawn in to the bottom of the cook box.

I'll put up some pictures soon of this dry run. I'll also put up a video showing how it works.
sounds cool as heck!

Old 03-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome to the Brethren!!! Can't wait to see that bad boy in action!!! Good luck, and happy smokin' farker!

Thanks from:--->