MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #76
HarrynVegas
Full Fledged Farker

I'm kinda sick at my stomach right now. There are no local wood sources like that here in the desert Southwest.
HarrynVegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #77
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrynVegas View Post
I'm kinda sick at my stomach right now. There are no local wood sources like that here in the desert Southwest.
Well I'm sure there are some good quality bagged woods in that area. I always just bought the cheap bagged wood.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #78
c farmer
Babbling Farker

I did notice the wood I cut here on the farm lasts longer than what I buy. I thought it was just me maybe not having it seasoned enough. Maybe not.

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #79
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
I did notice the wood I cut here on the farm lasts longer than what I buy. I thought it was just me maybe not having it seasoned enough. Maybe not.
Farmer (your name is Adam right?), how long do you let your wood dry/season before smoking? You use red oak if I recall.

I guess it lasts longer because the storebought stuff is kiln dried?

Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #80
c farmer
Babbling Farker

Yup. I am Adam. Lol

I cut it last fall and a put some chunks beside my coal stove to help dry them. I keep them there for 1 month. As I use them I add more.

I have hickory, apple, maple, cherry and oak that I cut on the farm.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #81
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Okay after messing around I figured out a way, that seems VERY safe to crosscut splits / small limbs:

My boyfriend had a couple $5 buckle ratchet strap thingies laying around and I just strapped one around the workbench top, saw and wood. This holds the wood in place well and keeps your hands free & safe. I stand on the left side of the saw (on the strapped down side) when cutting. I only use one hand in the entire operation and that's just pushign down on the handle.

Let me know how safe you think this is.

I know it is a lot more time consuming.. but I have all the time in the world, but only one left hand & set of fingers.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #82
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Okay after messing around I figured out a way, that seems VERY safe to crosscut splits / small limbs:

My boyfriend had a couple $5 buckle strap thingies laying around and I just strapped it around the workbench top, saw and wood. This holds the wood in place well and keeps your hands free & safe. I stand on the left side of the saw (on the strapped down side) when cutting. I only use one hand in the entire operation and that's just pushign down on the handle.

Let me know how safe you think this is.

I know it is a lot more time consuming.. but I have all the time in the world, but only one hand & set of fingers.
Only one hand?
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #83
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Only one hand?
Edited it.. one *left* hand. Thanks :)

Btw, that's all you can say about my ingenious idea? lol.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #84
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Edited it.. one left hand. Thanks :)

Btw, that's all you can say about my ingenious idea? lol.
Well, I'm no woodcutter but the level of perceived greatness would depend on if you did it all one handed or 2, so I asked...

Since it was 2 handed, it seems like a pretty decent approach other than the time to loosen and tighten straps.

If it was one handed, I'd say it is a great approach to a problem!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #85
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Well, I'm no woodcutter but the level of perceived greatness would depend on if you did it all one handed or 2, so I asked...

Since it was 2 handed, it seems like a pretty decent approach other than the time to loosen and tighten straps.

If it was one handed, I'd say it is a great approach to a problem!
Giggle.. yeah I have two hands.. what I meant was I have all the time in the world, but only one left hand I can't stand to lose!

My right hand pushes down on the handle and my left hand is at the left side of my body, which is in turn on the left side of the blade when cutting to avoid any kickback of the piece that got cut off.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #86
c farmer
Babbling Farker

That will work but I hold with my hand. The blade rotation holds the wood tight against the back of the saw. No danger.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #87
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
That will work but I hold with my hand. The blade rotation holds the wood tight against the back of the saw. No danger.
Tell that to this guy:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...ury_Story.html

Old 03-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #88
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Default Question about Crosscutting Pecan Limbs

A small, yet significant, portion of the bulk pecan I picked up the day before last is limbs that are about 2-4 inches in diameter, encapsulated in bark.

Since these are encapsulated, I noticed when i did a crosscut that they are very wet still comported to the splits. I have cut a couple of the limbs now, in about 2-3 inch long segments, because I like larger chunks of wood.

However, should I be cutting them thinner so they have a chance to dry out? Like perhaps 1 inch thick? What do you suggest? Thanks!

Last edited by bbqgeekess; 03-17-2014 at 10:55 PM..
bbqgeekess is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #89
fabmaster911
Got Wood.

I cut mt stuff around 4" to 5" and then I split them.
fabmaster911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #90
HarrynVegas
Full Fledged Farker

You are doing this perfectly. This is from an idiot who lost the tip of his left index finger to jointing a piece of wood that was too short. Power tools are great but stay safe. I still say the band saw is safer, but I like your hold down on the chop saw. Left hand on your butt, right hand on the saw handle and you will be fine. Oh, very important, wear eye protection. I've cut splits on my chop saw and they just exploded.
HarrynVegas is offline   Reply With Quote