MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #16
Novass
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

only get the hot links at dickeys. brisket is usually dry and flavorless.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #17
propsync
Knows what a fatty is.

We have a place in Milwaukee that is pretty popular for having 'great ribs'. The problem is that they use super lean, non-hormone, etc. pigs. Berkshire. The ribs are like trying to eat a piece of bacon with a bone in the middle. I get the allure and the price, but it really is pork jerky because it is so terribly lean. So, they've done the 'right' thing by locally sourcing, yadda yadda, but the end product is making people think ribs should be like that. Lean and dry.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #18
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

I thought I didn't like BBQ, until I started cooking my own. I've never been in a BBQ restaurant that was more than barely passable. That includes the one in my hometown that is an area favorite and award winner.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #19
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunter View Post
So, there is this BBQ joint in Indy not far from my house. I hear people talking about how amazing it is, so I thought I would drop by and order a small rib tip box with sauce on the side. I won't name the place because I am not in the habit slamming BBQ joints, but if this is what people consider amazing BBQ then I would hate to have some of the stuff that is just OK! Now I'm hawngry for some real BBQ, so I will just have to break open one of my vacuum seal packs and make myself a snack.
Just out of curiosity, what was bad about the BBQ from that joint? I think I make some damn good bbq, but whenever I taste someone elses bbq or restaurant bbq I keep an open mind. Different flavors combinations/profiles and different techniques. I have had some damn good que, some pretty good que and some terrible bbq in my area. When people ask my opinions about certain bbq places, I will give them a a review of the place other than, "it is good" "the place sucks" etc. I give the good and the bad opinions of each place.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #20
dajogejr
On the road to being a farker

Normally, I'm like my fellow Farkers. I can que it...and it'll be better than what I can buy.
However...as a family of 3 (sometimes 4 when the college boy comes home), we have a Famous Dave's by us. And the Trash Can and 1/2 trash can lid is a pretty good value.
You get to sample a little of everything and good portions for all.

I know how long it'd take me to make each and every type of meat on that lid...
Plus...their jalapeno mac n Cheese is excellent.

We have quite a few good BBQ joints within a 20 mile radius...and I always prefer my own que, but sometimes it's nice to not create a mess, not have to prep...and not have to clean up.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #21
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
So, there is this BBQ joint in Indy not far from my house. I hear people talking about how amazing it is, so I thought I would drop by and order a small rib tip box with sauce on the side. I won't name the place because I am not in the habit slamming BBQ joints, but if this is what people consider amazing BBQ then I would hate to have some of the stuff that is just OK! Now I'm hawngry for some real BBQ, so I will just have to break open one of my vacuum seal packs and make myself a snack.
You think it is bad where you are, don't believe anything you hear about the joints up here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by propsync View Post
We have a place in Milwaukee that is pretty popular for having 'great ribs'. The problem is that they use super lean, non-hormone, etc. pigs. Berkshire. The ribs are like trying to eat a piece of bacon with a bone in the middle. I get the allure and the price, but it really is pork jerky because it is so terribly lean. So, they've done the 'right' thing by locally sourcing, yadda yadda, but the end product is making people think ribs should be like that. Lean and dry.
^^case in point^^

There is a place called Speed Queen that I have heard mixed reviews from, unfortunately it is in an area that I would not venture to without having a secret service team...
Then again if Queen was so good, they would have more locations. Been in business since '56.
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Mass View Post
There is a place called Speed Queen that I have heard mixed reviews from, unfortunately it is in an area that I would not venture to without having a secret service team...
Then again if Queen was so good, they would have more locations. Been in business since '56.
I wouldn't question how good a place is by how many locations they have. If you open multiple locations you lose some control of the end product. Also running 1 location is a lot of work, trying to run 2 at the same time would be even more work. There are plenty of great restaurants that only have 1 locations and they are content with not opening another location.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #23
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
I wouldn't question how good a place is by how many locations they have. If you open multiple locations you lose some control of the end product. Also running 1 location is a lot of work, trying to run 2 at the same time would be even more work. There are plenty of great restaurants that only have 1 locations and they are content with not opening another location.
You make a very valid point, thanks.
Their location is in a very, very, bad area to say the least though.
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

I went to a BBQ food truck and could not even finish my pulled pork. 50% fat and a sauce that was meant more to burn your mouth than taste good. Damn now I need to make some pulled pork.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #25
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what was bad about the BBQ from that joint? I think I make some damn good bbq, but whenever I taste someone elses bbq or restaurant bbq I keep an open mind. Different flavors combinations/profiles and different techniques. I have had some damn good que, some pretty good que and some terrible bbq in my area. When people ask my opinions about certain bbq places, I will give them a a review of the place other than, "it is good" "the place sucks" etc. I give the good and the bad opinions of each place.
The main thing wrong was that it was obviously day-old, previously unsold BBQ. I'm not talking about food that was cooked last night for today, I'm talking about old BBQ that has been kept in some sort of warming condition for some time. It was dry, tough, an visually... old as opposed to fresh. I ordered sauce on the side, which was a really good thing, because the sauce had... stuff in it! I'm sure it was part of their recipe, but it just looked awful. Lastly, was the condition of the Joint. It is a converted utility trailer, which is not a problem because that is how I am going to start; but it was just not... clean looking, and how the place looked was very indicative of how the food tasted. I don't bash BBQ joints by name unless I get sick or something, because that is just not what I like to do, but this place is just a dive for making as money as they can, while they can.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #26
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
The main thing wrong was that it was obviously day-old, previously unsold BBQ. I'm not talking about food that was cooked last night for today, I'm talking about old BBQ that has been kept in some sort of warming condition for some time. It was dry, tough, an visually... old as opposed to fresh. I ordered sauce on the side, which was a really good thing, because the sauce had... stuff in it! I'm sure it was part of their recipe, but it just looked awful. Lastly, was the condition of the Joint. It is a converted utility trailer, which is not a problem because that is how I am going to start; but it was just not... clean looking, and how the place looked was very indicative of how the food tasted. I don't bash BBQ joints by name unless I get sick or something, because that is just not what I like to do, but this place is just a dive for making as money as they can, while they can.
I understand your feeling about not wanting to bash BBQ joints. But i can understand why it was bad bbq after the points you made. Not trying to be a a-hole but I like to understand what people consider bad bbq.

Some people will say that the bbq is bad, because it isn't "their bbq" or "their flavor profile" but the bbq is cooked perfectly. Thanks for your clarification though.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #27
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

I think that a lotta "bad" places exist because lots of people won't pay the price for "good" BBQ. Good BBQ is time & labor extensive and lots of folks expect fast food prices for everything nowadays.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #28
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQPitt View Post
... How did so many BBQ joints become so average? I have a hard time believing that people got into the Q business without thinking their BBQ was really really good.

I guess I wonder if it becomes a problem of scale. Can people just not handle the sheer volume of the cooks and keep quality? Do they start off high then slowly sink due to apathy?

It just seems like this is a common theme but I can't believe so many people would gamble so much with only average product. I can understand it from some of the chains. There mission is to appeal to as many people as they can while offending absolutely nobody. But mom and pop joints see, to fall by the wayside just as much.
I think the answer to your question is tied to one word that makes all the difference... Passion!

If you are going into BBQ ONLY because you think you can make some money, then passion for quality is not the highest priority, volume is! The focus becomes how can I get as much money as I can get with as little investment of time and money as possible. This is the formula for average and pitiful BBQ. Also, I question BBQ joints who also "specialize" in other products like seafood for example. Are you a BBQ joint for a fish house? This is not to say that you can't sell other products, but those "other" products should be some sort of periodic special in my opinion, and not a main product. If you are a fish house, sell fish. If you are a BBQ joint, sell BBQ. This is also the reason for mediocre BBQ, the focus is not on the BBQ product, but also on the fish, the chili, and whatever else you are trying to make money with.

Conversely, if you are passionate about BBQ, your product, your process, and the satisfaction of your customers are whats important. This implies a totally different approach to business and product preparation. There won't be any compromises to process or customer service because you feel your personal reputation is tied to every bite of BBQ your customers take. This is what makes the difference in my opinion. No cutting of corners, not compromise on meat quality, immaculate food preparation and serving environments, and ZERO tolerance for poor customer service.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #29
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I understand your feeling about not wanting to bash BBQ joints. But i can understand why it was bad bbq after the points you made. Not trying to be a a-hole but I like to understand what people consider bad bbq.

Some people will say that the bbq is bad, because it isn't "their bbq" or "their flavor profile" but the bbq is cooked perfectly. Thanks for your clarification though.
No problem at all! There are a couple of good joints in Indy, two are chains and one is a local guy who cooks on about 8 Weber Ranch Kettles, his stuff is amazing and never compromises on process and quality. That would be Judges BBQ if you ever get to Indy.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command

Old 07-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #30
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I'm a rookie Q'er, as of like a month ago, and so far my BBQ tastes better than any BBQ restaurant I've eaten at.

One place's brisket tasted of fish and petrol. The other place had super candy sweet bbq sauce without enough tang or salt. The chicken was dry. I had more of a smoke ring on my pulled pork as well. (Not too much smoke but just the right amount--could barely taste the smoke in the pork they served.)