LSG 24x48 Firebox Door Won't Close

IFlyEm

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I'm trying my 1st cook with my LSG 24x48 offset with an insulated firebox and I'm having issues with the firebox door. It won't close. :mmph: I noticed the issue when I seasoned the smoker. However, I was only at 225° and I could muscle the door closed and latch it. How this cook is 275° and the door won't close at all. You can see the door is warping. I can literally hear the door popping from inside my house as it heats up.

I talked to LSG after I seasoned it and they thought maybe my fire was too close to the door. This time I built it in the middle of the firebox and pretty much up against the cooking chamber end. So that's obviously not it.

Needless to say I'm a little disappointed. Especially after shelling out $6000 on this pit. I just want to know if this is normal with the insulated fireboxes. I saw a thread from 2015 where a guy had the same issue. Has anyone else?? Is there a fix?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20181119_085536.jpg
    20181119_085536.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 20181119_082103.jpg
    20181119_082103.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 311
  • 20181119_085529.jpg
    20181119_085529.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 306
Yes... There's a fix but I would call Chris first and discuss it with him in detail. I suspect he'll say the door didn't get the final processing they perform prior to shipment. (Oops - I see you've already discussed it with them)

You probably won't like the options but it can be remedied. Even after "fixing" mine I can still have issues if I build too hot of fire - which is MY mistake. P/M me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
My LSG insulated firebox has never had a problem but your does for a fact. Aint' going tp work... that is for sure. Somehow, someway, LSG needs to fit it. Knowing Chris, as I do, he will get it corrected. Still a pain in the butt, I know.

Shirley had problems with their insulated firebox door, so they went to a door made of 3/4 inch steel.

Talked to Chris. I need now space between the door and the hinge line. I sprung it with a screwdriver. Seems to be better. Not good yet though. I'll try it again after this cook.

Attachments

• 20181119_095430.jpg
    20181119_095430.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 270
I can't believe you should have to run at lower temps to keep the door from warping. Knowing the builder is LSG, I'm sure they'll make it right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m surprised they don’t do a pre-burn to test the warping before it ships.
Paul and Tyler were doing a burn in on my Shirley when i pulled up because they had just had an insulated door that warped. they changed the design to an uninsulated 3/4" plate after that. Never any issues and I've had it over 425 several times.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yikes. I wouldn’t be happy either. Surely they will make it right for you

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Super frustrating! Sorry to hear about this as I know how exciting it is to wait/receive a new smoker, especially something like an LSG. I’d be shocked if they didn’t bend over backwards to make things right!

I talked to LSG after I seasoned it and they thought maybe my fire was too close to the door.

That's like when Yoder was telling people to use kiln dried wood and turn the firebox into the wind to make up for their poorly designed, non-drafting pits after they knew they had issues instead of fixing the issue.

Strange that they are blaming you, when we have a member who already brought the issue to their attention. A black eye for LSG.

Sorry - I don't understand. So is it that the door is made out of metal that is too thin and can't take the heat? Or is it that they didn't build that particular door correctly and didn't catch it prior to shipping?

I’d be beyond unhappy after spending that amount of money. I’ve heard great things about LSG, hopefully they step up and make things right. That temporary half-butt fix they suggested wouldn’t cut it in my eyes.

Back