Costco top sirloin cap price increase

ulc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My favorite steak at Costco just got price increase. :sad: To me, the second best steak next to ribeye is top sirloin cap. This is basically picanha with the fat cap removed. There's absolutely nothing to trim and the steak is almost tender as ribeye with great beef flavor. It's way better than NY Strip. But I was at Costco today and noticed they increased the price of the top sirloin cap to $8.49 /lb from $5.99 /lb. The top sirloin cap off is still $5.99 /lb. Until today, it was always the same price for both cap and cap off. Now the cap is $2.49 /lb more than cap off and treated as different meat.

It is different. I only buy cap and never cap off. The cap is way more tender and flavorful than cap off. It is like eating different piece of beef. I know this and now it seems Costco does as well. Hopefully the Costco Business Center will still price both the same.

GJnOPUh.jpg

My favorite steak at Costco just got price increase. :sad: To me, the second best steak next to ribeye is top sirloin cap. This is basically picanha with the fat cap removed. There's absolutely nothing to trim and the steak is almost tender as ribeye with great beef flavor. It's way better than NY Strip. But I was at Costco today and noticed they increased the price of the top sirloin cap to $8.49 /lb from $5.99 /lb. The top sirloin cap off is still $5.99 /lb. Until today, it was always the same price for both cap and cap off. Now the cap is $2.49 /lb more than cap off and treated as different meat.

It is different. I only buy cap and never cap off. The cap is way more tender and flavorful than cap off. It is like eating different piece of beef. I know this and now it seems Costco does as well. Hopefully the Costco Business Center will still price both the same.

GJnOPUh.jpg

So this is not picanha? I guess I'm confused

The one on the right is basically the picanha cut. But the cut that most people associate with picanha has a layer of fat on the top that this one has had removed. If that makes sense...

Saw this thread and went to my costco to look. There were only flat packs of precut cap steaks in the display there, but the counter guy found me a cryovac with two whole caps in it. The prime and choice were basically the same price, so I got the prime for a bit under $6/lb. It eats just like a tri-tip without the wierd grain. Glad I saw this thread. Good stuff!!!

Back