Chuck roast for slicing

Most chuck roast are cut on average of about 2" thick and the grain tends to run up and down when the roast is laying flat, so you must cut the roast up into it's separate sections then turn on their side to cut across the grain. That is why chuck roast are so conducive for pulling based on how the grain runs in short strands. So I recommend cooking until completely tender.

I'm new to smoking but I like to cook my chuck roasts to about 160-165 then rap and cook until probe tender which is around 200-205. I think they slice well and taste good. My personal opinion.

I too find that around probe tender is best for slicing and cubing. This is what I look for when I cube a chuckie for chili. For some reason, I always feel like I have to cook the heck out of a chuck roast for pulling.

With storms predicted, it got some smoke this AM and went into the crockpot on low. Rain I don't mind, but with lightning, it's not worth it.

Great method IMO.

Pulled from crockpot at 190 deg. Cooking method aside, slicing across the grain worked out quite well. My wife even said so, and she was quite skeptical right from the beginning.

Back