The 7 minute steak method *** how my dad taught me to cook a steak

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
My dad loved to grill and I still long for the brick pit he cooked in his backyard when I was a child. Steaks were his specialty.

The 7 minute steak method

Load the coffee can with coals and light from below, when coals are ashed over pull the can and spread coals evenly on one side of the grill. The coffee can was the charcoal chimney of its day, holes were poked around the bottom and both lids were removed. Obviously you can just use a modern chimney

This is for what I call market steaks. The typical 1 inch cuts prepackaged in the refrigerator case. Thicker steaks I reverse sear but market steaks get the 7 minute treatment.

Cook steak for one minute 45 seconds on the hot side of the grill with the lid off and then rotate 45 degrees and move to a fresh section of the hot side. Cook another 1:45 and then flip the steak and move. Cook for 1:45 and one more rotation and move then another 1:45 and it should be rare.

Doneness is measured by a finger poke. The meat will bounce back some but not all the way. If it doesn't rebound you may be a little undercooked. If it springs back all the way then opps, next time try the 6 minute method.

If you like med rare then move to the cool side and cook lid on for 30 to 60 seconds, for medium cook 1-2 minutes additional.

Last edited:
Yes please... :hungry:

Rc7WGCCh.jpg

Great story! I bet you smiled the whole 7 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A great looking steak, and a great story. The cooking wasn't important to me as a kid. I wish I had paid more attention.

There are not many searable steaks available in the grocery stores here. 1-1/4" is about all we can find. If we go to the butcher stores, we also have a need to stop by the bank first.

Thanks for the post. Joe

Back