MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Ordered my first Piggy today

I'm getting all excited to smoke my first piggy for my daughters 1st birthday coming up next month. I do have a question. I will be getting a small 30 to 39 pounder, a tad bigger then the usual suckling pig, which is around 20 pounds.

About how long would a 39 pounder take. Since a suckling takes around 4 hours or so, I'd imagine, this would take close to 8+ hours, to smoke.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
Westx
is one Smokin' Farker

A 40 pound pig cooked at 250* should take about 4.5 to 5 hours.
24x42 Shirley Fabrication Elevated/Straight back patio model with warmer
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill

Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

I just did a 80#er that took 8 hrs at 225*. So 4 hrs is a safe bet.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018, 04:26 AM   #4
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks

Old 07-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
ChrisL
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
A 40 pound pig cooked at 250* should take about 4.5 to 5 hours.
Agreed. Figure out a way to get a lot more heat into the head and the hams as they take a lot longer to cook than the shoulders and ribs/bacon.

I cooked a 40 pounder on my Mixon H20 and was able to create a massive heat offset that allowed us to cook the hams to perfection. We tossed the head to keep the women happy.

You may want to consider wrapping the ribs and shoulders with aluminum foil to keep the heat off them near the end of the cook.

Chris
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote