MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #16
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

If you've never tried before, make your own Chili Powder. In Texas we have access to dried Chili peppers everywhere, but for those of you in other areas, these days it's easy to order dry peppers off of Amazon.

Start out with common dried peppers like Ancho, Guajillo, Anaheim, and Arbol. (Make your own ratio based on the heat level you enjoy) Get a big bowl, sit in front of the TV, and start breaking them in half to remove the seeds and stems. Toast the flesh on a sheet pan in a 400 degree oven for about twenty seconds, or when the edges start to curl. You can also toast them in a heavy skillet but be careful as they burn easily, and if that happens they will taste bitter. Cool for a few minutes and grind in an electric coffee grinder (I have one reserved just for spices).

The depth of flavor you get from grinding your own powder is incomparable to store bought spices. People will all want to know the secret to your awesome chili. It takes longer to make your own chili powder, but no comparison as far as flavor is concerned.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-10-2018, 09:31 PM   #17
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Pendery's is what a lot of competition cookers use. Gebharts is what I use. Mexene is good too. I also like Penzys.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #18
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post
If you've never tried before, make your own Chili Powder. In Texas we have access to dried Chili peppers everywhere, but for those of you in other areas, these days it's easy to order dry peppers off of Amazon.

Start out with common dried peppers like Ancho, Guajillo, Anaheim, and Arbol. (Make your own ratio based on the heat level you enjoy) Get a big bowl, sit in front of the TV, and start breaking them in half to remove the seeds and stems. Toast the flesh on a sheet pan in a 400 degree oven for about twenty seconds, or when the edges start to curl. You can also toast them in a heavy skillet but be careful as they burn easily, and if that happens they will taste bitter. Cool for a few minutes and grind in an electric coffee grinder (I have one reserved just for spices).

The depth of flavor you get from grinding your own powder is incomparable to store bought spices. People will all want to know the secret to your awesome chili. It takes longer to make your own chili powder, but no comparison as far as flavor is concerned.
^^^^^^This!

If not an option, don't know if you can have any Hispanic markets of even a Hispanic spice section in a WalMart or grocery store. If you can find dry pods, go the toasting and grinding route.

The cheapy Walmart brand is decent. Dark color and deep flavor. Not much heat at all, but that's what I use for powdered or I buy the bags from the different spice distributors.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 11-10-2018 at 09:59 PM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #19
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

http://www.penderys.com/terlingua-be...le-recipe.html

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2018, 09:56 PM   #20
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

If you can find it.........

EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #21
LYU370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
For those of you familiar with it, what I'd like to get close to is either Charlie's Ale House chili from Chicago or Longhorn Steakhouse's. Both no beans, both delicious. Charlie's is more flavorful and has lots of peppers in it, but Longhorn's is the best commercial basic chili I know of. More meaty than tomatoey.
Just noticed this, thought you were looking for a chili powder. Try some Bad Attitude Chili been making it for years, everyone loves it. Although until recently I never found Hatch chiles, so I've always used a combination of fresh chiles, ranging from mild to hot to get as much chile flavor in as possible. I usually add a couple of each, cubanelles, anaheims, long hots, jalapenos, habaneros, poblanos, etc... Adjust the peppers and quantity to your heat level, I like enough heat so you know it's chili, but not so much that you can't finish a bowl without having to stop to cool off.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2018, 10:19 PM   #22
16Adams

Weather supposed to suck tomorrow. I may venture out and buy some dried chiles and do the quick toast and grind. Besides, there’s not much better entertainment than a pre blizzard grocery store.
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2018, 06:33 AM   #23
16Adams

So “End cap” pepper Question. Off memory it seems the dried Chile bags have guessing 15-20 dried peppers???

Question: How many of those stemmed seeded flash dried and ground peppers does it take to get two tablespoons of chili powder?

I’ve got Mexican Oregeno and Cumin.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #24
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

It would depend on the dried chiles, dried poblanos have a lot more flesh than dried cascabells. If you have a standard blade style coffee grinder, deseed and then tear up the dried peppers and stuff as much will fit into the grinder, don't be afraid to squash them down. A full grinders worth will certainly give you two tablespoons.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #25
16Adams

Thanks!! I found this online

https://www.garlicandzest.com/hearty...ili-con-carne/

They make a paste from the dried chili. I may try this using a Pueblo or Hatch green chile instead of adobo. I struggle following a recipe. I have adobo sauce in the pantry.

My mind tells me to follow directions

My heart screams MSU and enjoy.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #26
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post

I have tried that a couple times and really didn't like the results. Over toasted. If I use dried chilis I prefer to rehydrate and blend.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #27
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

This is pretty damn good:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1943055

Old 11-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #28
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Being a Texas girl, my wife will only use Williams chili seasoning packets. I don’t know why, seems it’s a Texas thing . . . .
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #29
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaDustDevil View Post
Being a Texas girl, my wife will only use Williams chili seasoning packets. I don’t know why, seems it’s a Texas thing . . . .
That's my favorite too.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #30
16Adams

I’ve got multiple Williams-No Salt Added in the pantry. May need to get more :-))