Vortex for a 22.5" Kettle, medium or small?

My take is that the medium Vortex is most versatile, but you could make your own. If you already have the baskets, realize this. From a side by side comparison in my kettles with EQUAL amounts of LUMP, my chicken thighs cooked faster around the baskets. However, briquettes burn more efficiently in the Vortex, especially left over ones, and yes, you do have less cooking room around the baskets. The other thing to consider though is that you really need either a cast iron, stainless or the gourmet grate with the center out if you're gonna fill a Vortex up. Otherwise, you'll soon the plating off the center. And if you use the gourmet grate with center out, you won't have any more cooking space than if you were cooking around the Vortex of any size. I have and occasionally use the medium one, but these are just things to consider.

I have a medium...but sometimes I wish I had a small...get more room n the grate for food.

Oh and I would like to have a grate with a hole in the middle...the vortex ...burns all the seasoning off the grate in the middle.

It can be nice,
0x5Ez4a.jpg

but you do lose some grate space. I never leave mine off, I usually need the extra area.

It's the standard grate for the 22" MasterTouch Webers.

I've never seen one of those. My old 22.5 Weber has the sides that are hinged so you can add charcoal if needed but no center grate.
Their site now says 22" but it used to say 22.5".
Any idea when that changed?

I have the small for my 22"...even half to 3/4 full it gets scorching hot.

Yup. Exactly why I also went with the small for my 22".

The medium just seemed like it wold run too hot if filled.....and I like running this thing with a full payload.

Nice radiant heat output from the sides and the center hits the dome in big way.

Gonna cook some nice thick steaks with it soon. I'll let them come up to temp around the sides and then do a final sear over the center.

I recently bought the medium for my 22.5" and it seemed like it might be on the large side for my needs (primarily for wings). I have yet to use it though - maybe Monday. After reading here, I definitely won't be filling it up anywhere close to full.

I've never seen one of those. My old 22.5 Weber has the sides that are hinged so you can add charcoal if needed but no center grate.

I'm not sure when the changes occurred....

The grate that came with my Master Touch has the hinge feature, too.

I'll be handy when I use side charcoal boxes or if I buy a Slow'n'Sear.

It's part of the Weber Gourmet BBQ System.
https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/gourmet-bbq-system
I was given one, along with some of the inserts. It's fun to play with, and the grate is quite heavy duty. But if you don't use the inserts, the removable section can be a pain. You have to set the grate down somewhere level instead of hanging it, otherwise the insert falls out. I've ended up using copper wire to secure it, which is removable using just my fingers when necessary.

No pic. Not sure how to post pics on this site. Bowl was from Walmart. Holding up well some surface rust.

I was going to build or order the Vortex until I tried the Weber charcoal holder. First time cooking wings on the kettle and I think it turned out well. Just rubbed some seasoned salt on the wings. Nothing else and no sauce.

O8gJOs0.jpg

Back