My 26" Doesn't Get Hot Enough

upStomp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've had my 26" Weber Kettle for a full season and I just can't seem to get the temps nearly as high as my former 22". I've banked with foil & bricks for smaller cooks, which helps, but it's still just not getting to the temps that I want. I'm thinking the chamber is just too big for the amount of airflow (which looks to be the same as the 22"). That, or I should be doubling up on coals, even when banking.

Any thoughts from other 26" users?

Here's a thought.

Try some Jealous Devil lump charcoal. Maybe just mix some in with your regular fuel. It puts out much more heat than other stuff and can burn for a long time.

I get high temps w/ lump or briqs. If I want long-term high heat, I load the chimney w/ Weber briqs.

I have an SnS (reg size) in it. Maybe that helps.

It's true, though, that the extra volume of a 26 requires more fuel than the 22 for similar BTUs. :shock:

I think all it takes is more coals. I can get my 26 screaming hot. A full chimney of blazing lump on top of some unlit and you'll have it going pretty dang good. A vortex is good to use as well. I think the medium is the right size for a 26.

No issues with getting my 26 hot. If using my XL SnS it takes 1 chimney of charcoal. If grilling across most of the surface area, I use 2 chimneys of charcoal. When I dump them into the kettle, I use a fire rake to push them richly together in the middle. It’s enough charcoal to create a direct cook zone that allows me to use about 80% of the charcoal grate with a cooler zone around the perimeter.

More Charcoal!!! Preferably Lump which in my opinion gets hotter than briquettes. My 26" with a bottom full of lump gets hot enough to burn off all of my arm hair, even with long tongs! Don't be afraid to load it up.

Sorry for the delayed response (work had me running ragged the past month), and thanks for all the replies.

I recently dumped two full chimneys of lit RO Chef's Select (100% hardwood briquettes). It was scorching hot as I evened out the coals. 2 chimneys seem to cover the entire coal grate perfectly.

Still, with the lid on it wasn't maintaining the temps I wanted. With the lid off it was perfect for my needs, so in my case it definitely seems to be an airflow thing. No biggie, I'll just cook my steaks and chops with the lid off. It's been working perfectly that way for weeks now - even with the New England winter temps.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to work on open for cooking!!

Or.. install another vent in the lid, get that thing some breath..

Rb

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Like Clydegator said, crack the lid open on the side a little. The additional air will get you up to temp. And I also do what gtr mentioned: put a chimney of lit lump on top of some unlit to get a bigger fire going.

Your lid thermometer might be the issue.

Some suggestions:
-Make sure the tip is clean.

-Get a grate thermo for an accurate reading.

I have never had an issue getting a 475-550 reading from one chimney in my 26.

A friend of mine does all his cooking on the 26 using a full vortex shoved to one side. He has plenty of heat all across the grill for high heat indirect cooking.

I have a few 22's and a 26. I don't have problems getting the 26 hot with more coals, and letting them get nice and hot before using he lid.

But, I do have issues getting things to crisp up on the 26. When cooking wings or ABT's, the wings or bacon on the ABT's just don't crisp up like they do on a 22, even if I'm running at the same temp. Not sure if it's lid height or what, but the 26 gotta be running much hotter to get things to crisp up like they do on the 22's...

Here's a thought.

Try some Jealous Devil lump charcoal. Maybe just mix some in with your regular fuel. It puts out much more heat than other stuff and can burn for a long time.

2nd this , youll have no trouble with almost same amount of coals :twisted:

Back