MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #8011
johnnylightnin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Glad it turned out good for you. A couple suggestions (not that you need them ). When cooking butts in the PBC I usually cook unwrapped until I get the bark I like. It looks as if you did this too. Then I wrap and cook to about 200°. At about that point I start probing the thickest part of the butt for tenderness. When the probe goes in with no resistance I take the butt out. At this point the temp will range from 200-215 but usually in the 205 range). From there I unwrap slightly on the counter and let the butt stay somewhat tented for about 20 minutes. After that I wrap back up in the foil and place in an ice chest with s couple towels for a minimum of an hour. I think this process allows for a more even doneness and tenderness of the meat. I do a very similar process with brisket.

Your pork looks great. Nice job on your first attempt!
Thanks! Meathead has had me wishy washy about resting meat! But I do think I pulled it too soon. Most of it was great, but there were a few tough areas too. Once it was shredded I couldn’t notice anything, but a more even doneness sounds like what ai May have been missing.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #8012
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs106 View Post
Did individual YUGE tyrannosaurus (beef) ribs today for the first time. Hung them individually by hook (because I bought them that way and didn't want to set them on the rack). Set the temp for 225, pulled them to coat with BBQ sauce after 3 hours, and let 'em hang for another 30 minutes. They were awesome. I used some of the PBC beef rub that came with the PBC and I think for next time I won't use that.

Any suggestions for a good beef rub?

Thanks
Great minds! I did beef ribs on the PBC as well!
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #8013
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
Thanks! Meathead has had me wishy washy about resting meat! But I do think I pulled it too soon. Most of it was great, but there were a few tough areas too. Once it was shredded I couldn’t notice anything, but a more even doneness sounds like what ai May have been missing.
His not resting mainly deals with fast cooked stuff like steak I believe. I don't really see the process I use for butts and brisket as "resting". If I were to give it a name I'd call it stabilizing the meat..... Basically just allowing it to even out the temp throughout the meat for a more consistent product. I really have no education in this I just know it works....lol
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #8014
johnnylightnin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
His not resting mainly deals with fast cooked stuff like steak I believe. I don't really see the process I use for butts and brisket as "resting". If I were to give it a name I'd call it stabilizing the meat..... Basically just allowing it to even out the temp throughout the meat for a more consistent product. I really have no education in this I just know it works....lol
That’s what I thought, but this confused me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead
Pulling time. 30 minutes if you do it with your fingers (ouch!), 10 minutes with Wolf Claws.

Having smelled delicious pork for the preceding 7 hours didn’t help my restraint!

Old 01-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #8015
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

I'd have to see the full text to be able to determine more of what he's talking about but I will say even after putting the pork in an ice chest wrapped up for an hour it will still be too hot to handle bare handed...

Oh and I very much understand your lack of restraint....lol
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 01-21-2018, 09:17 PM   #8016
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Solid work, Johnny. I’m in the wrap/rest camp. I let it wrap/rest for at least an hour—preferably 2–and up to 4-5 hours if in a faux cambro.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #8017
rs242
Got Wood.

Did a packer, a point, and 3 chickens today. Everything came out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rs242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #8018
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Attaboy! Lookin good.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:49 AM   #8019
rs242
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
Attaboy! Lookin good.

Thanks. Need to get use to things. When I was picking up my brisket I knocked a chicken onto the coals, so there was my lesson of the day.

rs242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #8020
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs242 View Post
Thanks. Need to get use to things. When I was picking up my brisket I knocked a chicken onto the coals, so there was my lesson of the day.

I'm guessing that one that got knocked down for a quick sear was the best one

Old 01-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #8021
SS13
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Welcome rs! I'm sure you could do pastrami in the PBC. I bet it'll give you a slightly different taste that what you are use to but will still be very good.
I'm looking forward to seeing your posts if you do cook one though. I'm sure the other PBCer folks here look forward to it too.

Glad to have another PBC owner post in the thread..Good luck!

I did one using a tritip (post #7806). I also did a turkey pastrami back in November...amazing.
SS13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #8022
SS13
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs106 View Post
Did individual YUGE tyrannosaurus (beef) ribs today for the first time. Hung them individually by hook (because I bought them that way and didn't want to set them on the rack). Set the temp for 225, pulled them to coat with BBQ sauce after 3 hours, and let 'em hang for another 30 minutes. They were awesome. I used some of the PBC beef rub that came with the PBC and I think for next time I won't use that.

Any suggestions for a good beef rub?

Thanks
salt and pepper :)
SS13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #8023
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome first cooks!

Johnny - My best results on butts with the PBC has been to let it roll until I get the bark I like. This means I usually let it fight through the stall and then wrap around an IT of 170-175. Doesn't take long for it to get to ~200-05 at that point. Then it's into the towels and the cooler. Longer the hold, the better the results in my experience. At least two hours, if possible. When I followed the PBC instructions of letting it rest and then going in after 20 minutes, the pork was not as tender. Same for brisket.

I also do not use any wrapping juice. I did at first but found that it was not needed and, worse, it changed the flavor of brisket when using the beef stock into a pot-roast type taste. These things put off enough of their own juice after foiled that you shouldn't be in any danger of having dry meat.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #8024
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

I agree with BigKing on the wrapping juice for brisket. There's always plenty of juice just from the brisket itself.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 01-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #8025
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I agree with BigKing on the wrapping juice for brisket. There's always plenty of juice just from the brisket itself.
I did a 14# Costco Prime this weekend. Put the leftover flat and point pieces in separate gallon size ziplocks and then poured the juice that was in the foil into the bag of flat: it probably filled up ~35% of the bag. Now, just like a drink in ice, the amount of meat exaggerates the amount of juice, but it was still a real good amount.

Drank too much Saturday night so I didn't get the PBC started early enough to hold the brisket as long as I wanted to since I had to get out around 6:30 to get to the Kings game. Still turned out real nice but I would of liked another hour on the hold since I only got 1:45 of holding time. Pic is kind of garbage and I was slicing and then bagging due to having to leave for the game, but it met the bend test and all that good stuff. I just pulled it to wrap after 4:15 due to time issues when I like to let it run for at least 5 before wrap.

After a couple of uneven cooks, I've been getting good results by mainly dumping the lit coals in the rear of the basket in relation to the vent. Burn pattern hasn't been as uneven and it isn't running hotter like it was.

Last edited by BigKing; 06-05-2020 at 06:05 PM..
BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it