The consensus is that the meat dripping produce a taste that is a bit like Brazilian steakhouse flavor—not so much a classic smoke flavor. But you can achieve all the smoke flavor you want, depending on type and amount of wood you add to the cook. Most people find this flavor profile to be incredible.

The smoke flavor from my PBC is stronger than from my stickburner, but not as clean. The flavor is a mixture of charcoal, wood chunks, and drippings. It's unique...not just like a WSM with a water pan or a reverse flow stickburner.

Overall that flavor is stronger to me than straight wood.

Yea it sucks bad! Even the average backyard Joes think so too.

Here's proof on Amazon alone.

9DQlWMuh.jpg

I was referring to the burnt fat taste post by el luchador, just prior to my post...

Not sure what your motive is but this is not the thread to try and trash or take off topic. The purpose of the thread is for those of us who own the cooker to discuss cooks, mods, tricks, tips, etc. If you motive is to bash the cooker, please start your own thread for that purpose. Otherwise please post something relevant as we all know that food cooked in the PBC does not suck.....

Not sure what your motive is but this is not the thread to try and trash or take off topic. The purpose of the thread is for those of us who own the cooker to discuss cooks, mods, tricks, tips, etc. If you motive is to bash the cooker, please start your own thread for that purpose. Otherwise please post something relevant as we all know that food cooked in the PBC does not suck.....

Motive? WTF?
Reading is fundamental.
For the second time, I was referring to the smoky fat flavor from fat dripping on the fire....regardless of cooker .....jeez ...try reading before you post...

question for all owners- how pronounced is the smoke from the fat drippings?

About 11 or 12 years ago, in a review for another drum cooker, Danny Gaulden mentioned drums duplicate open pit barbecue, and referred to smells produced from drums as the Grandpaw smell. That hit home as 'Pa taught me how to barbecue in the 60's. I immediately bought two. Here is my Grandpa and Great Uncle tending an open pit likely in the 50's.

VF2DDNb.jpg

Motive? WTF?
Reading is fundamental.
For the second time, I was referring to the smoky fat flavor from fat dripping on the fire....regardless of cooker .....jeez ...try reading before you post...

I'm pretty sure I read and understood exactly what was being asked. Maybe you should reread the original question. Drippings from the meat (which includes fat) is the primary way PBC owners get smoke flavor in their food. And that's what the question was asking. How strong is that smoke flavor. Stlsportster also read the question as I did and answered it perfectly.
Maybe your post was not meant how we all took it but you've made 1 post in this thread out of nearly 8000 posts and it did not appear as if it was meant to be helpful.

Either way we need to move on from this and get back on topic!

About 11 or 12 years ago, in a review for another drum cooker, Danny Gaulden mentioned drums duplicate open pit barbecue, and referred to smells produced from drums as the Grandpaw smell. That hit home as 'Pa taught me how to barbecue in the 60's. I immediately bought two. Here is my Grandpa and Great Uncle tending an open pit likely in the 50's.

VF2DDNb.jpg

Thirdeye, that pic is a classic! So cool. I'd hang that for sure.

chicken in the Snow today. Spatchcocked it because I wasn't sure how to hang it. Honestly it cooked more directionally than I expected it to. But ...the bird turned out great. Tried posting pic but getting error messages from the brethren server.

chicken in the Snow today. Spatchcocked it because I wasn't sure how to hang it. Honestly it cooked more directionally than I expected it to. But ...the bird turned out great. Tried posting pic but getting error messages from the brethren server.

Cut the chicken in half and hang it through the breasts. If you go to the PBC website there's a video of cooking chicken. I've found that to be the easiest way....

Edit....Here I'll help you out https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/resources/signature-chicken/

I'll do that next time for sure. I had already fired up my chimney when I started thinking about how to hang it lol.

I'll do that next time for sure. I had already fired up my chimney when I started thinking about how to hang it lol.

I have spatchcocked and hung on 2 hooks before, instead of cutting in halves.

OK, I don't sell people on the PBC at Sako's rate, but it's worth mentioning my father-in-law got himself a PBC after one meal off the PBC! And he already has multiple cookers, including the BGE. His first cook last week was ribs and he loved them. He's doing chicken today, which should be a home run, too.

Back