MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
AFLCAPT
Knows what a fatty is.

Default BGE ques....

How can I get those high temps I've heard about? I use a full chimney of lump glowing in a small Egg w/vents wide open & I can't seem to break 550ish. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

I don't have a small but with my mediums I've gotten it well over 550 when making pizza or steak. have not pushed the XL that hot yet.

possible things to consider

1) check thermometer
2) try a different lump charcoal
3) don't prelite.. arrange larger pieces on lump on the bottom and smaller on top then light.. may allow for better airflow bottom to top
4) if also using a plate setter for pizza..are you letting the plate setter get hot ? that will slow things down it you put it on in the cold chamber with pre-lit. chimney many not be enough to get both as hot as you want
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Rick's Tropical Delight

-take the top damper completely off. the result is more laminar airflow out the dome and a stronger draft.

- use large and medium lump pieces. no small and dust.

- calibrate your thermometer.

- i never use a chimney, i start the lump in the egg.

- sometime the top of the lump pile will form a "crust" as the fire burns down into the pile towards the oxygen source below. just stir the top with an ash tool or whatever to let the flames out.

- high temps will be seen when the fire is raging and flames are on the top of the lump.

that's how i do it. what temps are you looking for? and what do you plan on cooking at these high temps? the temp on the grate in a direct configuration will be higher than the dome thermometer temp. sometime, you just have to give it more time to get to 700 at the dome thermometer. given enough time with the top damper completely off and the bottom vent completely open and you will have blue flames shooting out of the dome. this is not the time to look down into the dome unless you want a haircut.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I don't have a small but with my mediums I've gotten it well over 550 when making pizza or steak. have not pushed the XL that hot yet.

1) check thermometer
3) don't prelite.. arrange larger pieces on lump on the bottom and smaller on top then light.. may allow for better airflow bottom to top
4) if also using a plate setter for pizza..are you letting the plate setter get hot ? that will slow things down it you put it on in the cold chamber with pre-lit. chimney many not be enough to get both as hot as you want

Old 07-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
AFLCAPT
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post

1) check thermometer
1) check thermometer- It's brand new should I still calibrate it?
3) don't prelite.. arrange larger pieces on lump on the bottom and smaller on top then light.. may allow for better airflow bottom to top- I'll try this next time.
4) are you letting the plate setter get hot ? that will slow things down it you put it on in the cold chamber with pre-lit. chimney many not be enough to get both as hot as you want- no plate setter....Thanks!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Rick's Tropical Delight

i will warn you that most gasket troubles are caused by the high temps you want to see.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I know this sounds weird, but all small Eggs are not equal in the high heat department. Years ago there were a lot of questions about this in the Green Room. Some folks can get the nuclear temps in theirs and some have a heck of a time breaking 500°. Mine is the latter.

With the old expression "When in doubt, bore it out" in mind, some of the earlier solutions were to replace the charcoal grate with something that would allow more airflow. Personally I don't see much use in cooking with high temps, so I've never really fooled with mine.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #8
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

Ive gotten my Large over 600+ on accident a few times. I never see a reason to cook that high. I did try steaks at 500 or so and burned all the damn hair off my arms with the backdraft. (twice) I try not to go over 450 for pizzas or steaks and they turn out great.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #9
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFLCAPT View Post
1) check thermometer- It's brand new should I still calibrate it?
yes, what could it hurt to check the calibration?