MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #16
Playtoannoy
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Wow, sorry to hear that. Major bummer. Were there obvious signs of damage to the shipping crate?
They leave the top half open. So it’s easy to peek down in there to see if everything is ok. It was easy to spot as soon as I looked down into it. I saw the wheels under the firebox weren’t straight.
Playtoannoy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 06-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #17
angryelfFan
is one Smokin' Farker

A tragedy
Shirley 24 x 42 Straight Back
angryelfFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #18
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

So sorry ... but ... you inspected it before release ... good for you.... It will get better ...
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #19
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

So sorry to hear about this, but I'm sure LSG will make it right.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #20
Gimmethecash
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Steven

Sorry for your loss. As above, hopefully LSG will turn it around quickly.
Camp Chef FTG600
Cookshack Amerique
2 x Sous Vide Supreme
Minipack MV31X
Gimmethecash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #21
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

Dang!!! Sorry your pit is back in quarantine.

As much as it sucks at least it broke completely so you could see the damage and not just cracked a little that could give you problems later on if you didn't notice it. Maybe they should beef up that angle with square tubing. From the pic it looks like that angle has all the weight on it.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #22
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

It's just a good thing that you inspected it first. In the end, you will get the smoker you want in the condition you want and paid for.
I went to a big box Depot store to pick up a plastic storage bin for some of my backyard essentials. They had two in stock and they brought one out to me. What were they thinking when they brought the one out that had a forklift gash in it and the door that was showing had a crease in it? Naturally, I asked for the other one, so although my replacement was immediate, I feel your pain. Good luck getting everything squared away in a timely manner.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #23
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

That sucks!
Since i'm a fab guy, I would have repaired it and have them give me a credit. Not bad damage really.
They need to find a way to crate their smokers up better to avoid damages like this.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #24
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

I would have the shipping company pay for the damages, and use some of the money to hire a welder to fix and paint it. You might end up coming out of this ahead. Makes no sense to ship it back to LSG and have them ship it back. They might even recommend a company local to repair it.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #25
Playtoannoy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRingsMatter View Post
I would have the shipping company pay for the damages, and use some of the money to hire a welder to fix and paint it. You might end up coming out of this ahead. Makes no sense to ship it back to LSG and have them ship it back. They might even recommend a company local to repair it.
As much as I want the pit right now, I sent it back. That’s what LSG told me to do. I don’t want any patch work. This pit wasn’t cheap, and I’ve never used it. I don’t want anything less than a brand new pit. I don’t want welds that look different or a piece of different material or an off paint color. I want a brand new perfect piece of equipment.

The turnaround will probably take me about a month or so.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #26
Playtoannoy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
That sucks!
Since i'm a fab guy, I would have repaired it and have them give me a credit. Not bad damage really.
They need to find a way to crate their smokers up better to avoid damages like this.
I felt the crate could’ve been better, but after talking with Chris and reviewing some pics and videos, it seems that the shipping company caused it by placing a pallet on one end causing it to teeter when being picked up. It was probably up in the air 10 inches or so and came crashing down on the other end.

They put the pallet on the smoke stack end and picked it up with the forklift. The firebox end is heavier and that’s the end with the busted axle. It was a 24x60 inch pit and I got the bigger 1/2 inch firebox as well and that made it very unbalanced hanging off that one pallet. See the pic when he was picking it up. It was tipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95BB5B8D-40E5-4022-B616-2777760F91EA.jpg (35.1 KB, 557 views)

Old 06-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #27
Gimmethecash
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Steven

Nice sleuthing there and I have to agree - you paid for a new cooker, and you should get one.
Camp Chef FTG600
Cookshack Amerique
2 x Sous Vide Supreme
Minipack MV31X
Gimmethecash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #28
musicmanj
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

What a bummer. I just put my order in last week from LSG. Good to know about inspecting carefully before accepting. I agree with you on wanting a new cooker and sending it back. I know for myself, I would always look back at a repair and regret not sending it back.
musicmanj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #29
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtoannoy View Post
I felt the crate could’ve been better, but after talking with Chris and reviewing some pics and videos, it seems that the shipping company caused it by placing a pallet on one end causing it to teeter when being picked up. It was probably up in the air 10 inches or so and came crashing down on the other end.

They put the pallet on the smoke stack end and picked it up with the forklift. The firebox end is heavier and that’s the end with the busted axle. It was a 24x60 inch pit and I got the bigger 1/2 inch firebox as well and that made it very unbalanced hanging off that one pallet. See the pic when he was picking it up. It was tipping.
It's tough to mitigate damage when dropped from a forklift no matter how it's crated.
Perhaps a sign (sticker) placed on the heavy end instructing forklift operators to lift from that end would help prevent future catastrophic outcomes?

Old 06-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #30
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

Now we will have to wait to find out how the cook went and how excited everyone is as you knock it out of the park !
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->