Grilled Korean Style Short Ribs

Bubba Gup

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I came across this recipe by Chef John on All Recipes the other day. I thought these were fantastic. I picked up a 5 lb. pack of flanken cut short ribs yesterday and put them in the marinade early this morning. For the marinade:

1 Asian pear, peeled and cored
1/3 cup Sherry
1/3 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/8 cup brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, peeled
5 slices of ginger (about the size of a quarter)
1 Tbs hoisin
1 Tbs chili paste
1 tsp sesame oil

Combine all ingredients in a blender and marinate the ribs for 8-12 hours. Heat grill to medium high and grill on each side for 4 mins.

Here they are at the turn
73ecbb5dce321f4647cdb8dae6c5289d.jpg

And plated with sticky rice and broccoli
a4c54cc264a61f623e521931748ad61f.jpg

Tenderness was spot on. Nice chew and full meaty flavor. I’ll play around with different fruits next time (pineapple/mango/papaya) to riff a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look Really Good! I have only cooked Korean style ribs once. Finding flanken cut, prepping a sauce, and marinade ahead interrupts my last minute decision making. They were really good though. I should do them again.

Umm Galbi...is one of my favs! Yours look outstanding. Flanken cut ribs are not always availible...so if I see some I always buy and throw in the freezer.

I learned to make them from a little old Korean lady. Not quite that recipe but similar. Add a bit more sugar for some nice char.

Back