MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #61
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Now, go away, yer botherin' me.

CD

No no no no no! It's "Don't go away mad, muskrat. Just go away."

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 AM   #62
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've been using my iPhone for fun as a camera here and there, and will be upgrading to a 4s with a much better camera. I actually prefer that to my wife's point and shoot... Mainly because of the apps that I can use on the phone, and even take the photos within the app. There are TONS of them, but the ones I have had found most useful without spending a lot of cash are:

Big Lens... You can mimic, somewhat, wide aperture lenses... Here's an example I played around with (didn't spend any time on it, really). I'd do this more on the iPad for more control.

Camera+ (no example) gives more camera-like controls, with a timer, stabilizer, burst mode and some other really nice features. I'm using this to take all photos originally, then move to other apps to mod.

Photo Toaster is great for white balance, tint, filters, etc. And another app that I'm having fun with by the same company is Mobile Monet, which makes photos look like graphic novel art, with lots of adjustments and ability to apply color only where desired.

vs.

vs.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #63
cmcadams

CD, what do you think, if you even look at them, of the nikon d7000 vs. d5100, or have you heard of a d7000 upgrade?

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #64
caseydog

I haven't tried either one, but someone asked about the D5100 in another thread, and based on the information I could find online, it looks like a pretty good camera.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #65
cmcadams

I'm thinking d7000, even with the extra cost, due to the build quality and materials and weather sealing, though I think the articulated screen is great on the d5100.

I'd thought I would go with the d700, but the d7000 is apparently very close in what it produces, for half the money. Full frame is attractive, but not needed for my measly skillset with a camera. I do want a 70-200mm vr 2.8 lens, though!

Livefire Whisky

Old 12-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #66
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

This is a great price on a great camera. It is the one I mostly use now. The S100 came out and I think they are dumping these.. I love it because it is good in low light and also I can fit it in my pocket comfortably, so it is great for traveling. If anyone is interested in a camera this time of year, I recommend it strongly. This is about $70 cheaper than I've ever seen them before and I expect they're just dumping their stock on hand for the new model, so if you're interested, you should act fast.

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot S95 10 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519z3AjKzHL.@@AMEPARAM@@519z3AjKzHL

The price is $229.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #67
colonel00

^^^Unavailable. I saw it lasts night at $269 and almost pulled the trigger. If I can find it for around $200 I might just pick one up and wait on the S100

Found this link on slickdeals.

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot S95 10 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519z3AjKzHL.@@AMEPARAM@@519z3AjKzHL

Ok, it is the same link I guess but it takes you to a page that says it is unavailable. However, follow the link below and then click on the Amazon link and it should work.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/6569...era-w-hd-video
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #68
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

That link worked when I posted it. I even checked it after I posted. Thanks for the heads-up though.
I'd be surprised if this goes any lower.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #69
colonel00

Yeah, that is what I am debating. It is a great deal but then I wonder if it won't come up cheaper after the holidays as retailers try to clear out inventory.

Also, that slickdeals link has some accessories listed. Looks like decent deals on extra batteries and cases and such.

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #70
Gore
Phizzy

I don't think it will be around after the holidays. They have a replacement in the new S100. I was hoping they had one when I get home from work today, because I'm thinking of buying a spare. I would think the big question for you is how much that GPS in the new model is worth.

For the record, that is frontpage on slickdeals with 475 comments so far today. I'm surprised they still have any in stock.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #71
colonel00

Yeah, frontpage items don't last too long. You are a bad influence. I weened myself off of slickdeals last year because I was buying too much crap because it was a good deal.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #72
Gore
Phizzy

I try only to use the search functions on slickdeals and avoid the frontpage altogether. It's a great way to check prices. The geo-caching functions on the S100 still sound great. You could probably pick that one up next year for about $250 if you don't pull the trigger on this.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #73
caseydog

I don't know that I would get a spare. As the race for more and more megapixels seems to be subsiding, a lot of effort is going into improving image quality on the chips they have. I would not be surprised if, in addition to GPS, the S100 has less noise and a wider range of ISO sensitivity.

I also notice the S100 has a 24mm wide angle vs. 28mm. That matters on a small chip. Faster shutter. 5X vs 3.8X zoom. Higher resolution movie mode (1080P).

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #74
colonel00

It is in my cart. I probably will grab this and then evaluate what I want and if I want to change as my Alaska trip approaches next fall.

As far as slickdeals, I was much worse than you. I would actually go into the Hot Deals forum and browse all of the deals. Much like here, I would see what was new and then refresh to see what was even newer. I scored some great deals but also bought stuff I really didn't need based soley on the fact that it was a great deal.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #75
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I don't know that I would get a spare. As the race for more and more megapixels seems to be subsiding, a lot of effort is going into improving image quality on the chips they have. I would not be surprised if, in addition to GPS, the S100 has less noise and a wider range of ISO sensitivity.

I also notice the S100 has a 24mm wide angle vs. 28mm. That matters on a small chip. Faster shutter. 5X vs 3.8X zoom. Higher resolution movie mode (1080P).

CD
The one thing I have found in reading reviews is many feel the IQ of the S100 is actually suffering a bit due to the CMOS chip as opposed to the CCD sensor in the S95. Everything else is notably better as you mention though. However, for half the price, it is hard to pass on this and then wait for a deal on an S100 later.