Grilled Legs and Thighs

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
I have tried a Salt bath on cheaper Steaks before so thought I would try it on some Chicken.

Picture021-1.jpg

Also tried some Brined ones too. Only Brined for about an hour and a half, next time will try leaving them for longer.

Picture041.jpg

Grilled them on the CharGriller with Kingsford Blue. Added some Mrs Dash as the seasoning.

Picture061-2.jpg

Moved to the safety zones as the larger pieces cooked. All ready to come off now.

Picture067.jpg

Came out very good, I liked the Salted ones the best. Not Salty tasting but no need to add salt either. The ones on the right are the Brined ones, cannot really see a difference but definitely could taste the difference.

Picture084-3.jpg

Picture085.jpg

Picture090.jpg

Gorgeous Terry! How long did the salt stay on the unbrined ones?

Since this was the 1st time trying this, I only left the Salt on for 30 minutes. It seems Chicken does not take in the Salt like Beef does. On Steaks I usually only do 20 minutes and sometimes they can come out pretty salty.

Next time I am going to try 45 minutes to an hour just to test.

I salt my bird pieces also, I try to give them 30 to 40 minutes when I can. It looks like I use about 1/2 as much salt as you do based on the pics though.

I think it makes enough of a difference that I salt them even when I know I can only give them 10 mins or so. My family always notices when I skip that step also...........I get the "not as good as the last ones" kind of comments.

I'll take a thigh and leg to go, please. :mrgreen:

I had been thinking about trying this for awhile now. If I remember correctly it was Jeanie (cowgirl) that mentioned doing this some time back. Maybe I was dreaming, but if correct and Jeanie said it was good, that was good enough for me.

Great job Terry. You really know how to cook chicken and love the brine experiment. What exactly did you put in it?

Thanks! Did 2 different things on this cook.

The wet Brine was just a simple mix of 3/4c Salt, 3/4c Sugar and 1/8c Garlic Powder to a Gallon and 1/2 water.

The real experiment was the Salt alone (dry Brine). :wink:

Question for you Terry, maybe I'm not understanding something. You said the dry brine chicken wasn't overly salty. I've sprinkled some rubs that I didn't realize were considered salty and didn't use anywhere near the amount of rub (used medium amount) vs salt you used and my chicken came out very salty. Before you move the dry salted chicken to the grill did you just knock off the excess salt, wash it off with water, etc?

Question for you Terry, maybe I'm not understanding something. You said the dry brine chicken wasn't overly salty. I've sprinkled some rubs that I didn't realize were considered salty and didn't use anywhere near the amount of rub (used medium amount) vs salt you used and my chicken came out very salty. Before you move the dry salted chicken to the grill did you just knock off the excess salt, wash it off with water, etc?

Hi Tony, yes I rinse the chicken thoroughly before placing it on the grill. Need to be sure you rinse well even under the skin.

Back