Taking a trip for the first time in 2 years

Harbormaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
"Middle" son Andrew (he's the oldest twin by two minutes) is getting married on Daufuskie Island SC on June 12.
Pam and I are leaving at 0700 on Friday for the drive down.
We'll be staying in Richmond Kentucky on Friday night, then on to Hardeeville SC where we will stay Saturday night. Hopefully we have a few hours to see some sites in Savannah on Sunday.
We have a ferry to the island booked at 1600 on Sunday. We'll stay at a VRBO Sunday and Monday nights, then make our way back toward Wisconsin on Tuesday.
Lot's of driving for just a couple of days but I think it will be worth it. I haven't had a full week off since Thanksgiving week of 2021. I hope I can adjust to not going to work for a spell.

Sounds like quite the trip! When passing through the Columbia SC area, you might want to stop at Maurice's BBQ and try some with mustard sauce. I believe the one at 1600 Charleston highway was a good one and it should be on your way.

Savannah has a lot of good places to eat. Our favorite was Alligator Soul. The shrimp and grits there were fabulous (along with everything else).

Have a great trip and be safe. Congrats to Andrew and welcome south!

Savannah has a lot of good places to eat. Our favorite was Alligator Soul. The shrimp and grits there were fabulous (along with everything else).
Made a reservation for Tuesday before we head home. Thanks for the recommendation!

Made a reservation for Tuesday before we head home. Thanks for the recommendation!

Cool! I think there were 8 of us, so we tried a lot of different things and it all was good. I remember the shrimp and grits, the Hilbo, gator, and antelope especially. We'd also had desserts, but I can't tell you what. I'd had shrimp and grits before and didn't think much of it. When I had theirs it was like a revelation. I had it a few other times and only once did it come close to theirs.

Savannah does have a lot of good restaurants though. Some are especially touristy, like the Pink House, which was good, but not great. It's a great building and extremely busy.

Gore!
Holy cr@p!
I've been looking at the menu for Alligator Soul and I've put on 5 lbs already!
WOW! This is going to be an amazing meal.

Gore!
Holy cr@p!
I've been looking at the menu for Alligator Soul and I've put on 5 lbs already!
WOW! This is going to be an amazing meal.

You just made me visit it myself and I'm thinking, oh yeah, that was good, I remember that. I think we sampled half the appetizers including the fritters, mushroom salad, gator tempura, and shrimp and grits. I don't remember candied gator. I don't think that was on the menu at the time or I'm sure we would've ordered it. I remember being pretty full by the time the main course came, but we ate that as well and also had desserts, which were really good too. Yeah, five pounds seems to be about right.

Our favorite was Alligator Soul. The shrimp and grits there were fabulous (along with everything else).
Thought for sure I had updated this, but I was mistaken.
Pam and I ordered the Butcher Board and the Shrimp & Grits as appetizers. I loved everything on the Butcher board: Marrow bone, olives, mustard, flat breads, honey, dried fruit, pickled veggies, cheeses, candies alligator. Pam wasn't big on the marrow. Shrimp & grits were really good, Pam not a big shrimp fan. But she liked the grits!
She had the blackened sea bass as an entrée and I had the scallops.
The sea bass was on a bed of an alligator cake (think crab cake, but with alligator). The scallops came with sweet potatoes and spring squash (zucchini and yellow squash) with a roasted red pepper cream sauce.
There were only 4 scallops but they were HUGE! Had to cut them into 4 pieces to eat them. The sweet potatoes paired with the roasted red pepper sauce was crazy good. The veggies were perfectly cooked and seasoned. I mentioned to Pam that there was no salt or pepper on the table, and we didn't need it.
Pam really liker her sea bass though I was hoping she would have ordered the ribeye. I think she balked when she saw the prices. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Thanks for the update. When you haven't been to a restaurant in a few years, you wonder sometimes if it is still good. From your description, it sounds like it is still very good. I think it is better to have had what your ordered rather than a ribeye. I'm sure you would've been blown away by the ribeye, but I think there was a lot more creativity in what you had, which made it more memorable.

Back