MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
Nokare
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Nick
Default Pellet smoker

Hello all,
I am in the market for a pellet smoker. A few years ago I sold my linestar grillz insulated cabinet before moving cross country.

After the move I picked up a GMG pellet and used the thing like crazy due to the ease. The build quality bugged me out the gate and eventually it stopped working.

I am looking for a replacement/upgrade of higher build quality than the gmg. I loved the LSG IVS and see they are coming out w a pellet soon. Chris has said they are their 20" offset with a pellet hopper. The 20x42 will weigh 445 lbs, which I read as quality.

Are there any other smokers I should look into? I have checked out Yoder and MAK.
Budget isn't much of a concern. I am not spending 10k though lol.
Nokare is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Welcome to the Brethren! After having owned 20+ cookers over the past 25 or so years, the MAK 2 Star has been my all-time favorite grill/smoker to date. Personally, I think you’ll be hard-pressed to beat a MAK :-)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #3
scotts1919
Full Fledged Farker

i am a proud yoder owner and i love them. The mak grills are quality built from what ive heard.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

If you just want a smoker, and aren't interested in grilling, look at the Cookshack FEC100. Mine is 13 years old and going strong!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
cclinard1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chas

I have a Yoder YS640s on comp cart on the way. Yoder and MAK pretty much lead the top tiers. Rec Tec's Bull is a nice product, but I don't like their marketing/lifestyle videos personally, which ultimately led me away from that. Grillbillies in Wendell isn't too far from you and they are a Yoder, GMG, Myron Mixon dealer so you may be able to head there to put your eyes on some of those.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Nokare
Found some matches.

I am looking to smoke and grill on it.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokare View Post
I am looking to smoke and grill on it.

If grilling is a requirement, then here’s something to consider and decide which works best for you.

Pretty much every pellet grill that has grilling capabilities has a portion (often very small) dedicated for high heat cooking. That works for some. As far as I know, MAK and Weber are the only pellet grills on the market that offer grilling capability across the entire cooking grate. If you are grilling for more than just a few people, IMO having the full grate to use is a huge deal. Just something to consider. I’d be very cautious with Weber right now as they are new to the market and working through some fairly significant design issues.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
If grilling is a requirement, then here’s something to consider and decide which works best for you.

Pretty much every pellet grill that has grilling capabilities has a portion (often very small) dedicated for high heat cooking. That works for some. As far as I know, MAK and Weber are the only pellet grills on the market that offer grilling capability across the entire cooking grate. If you are grilling for more than just a few people, IMO having the full grate to use is a huge deal. Just something to consider. I’d be very cautious with Weber right now as they are new to the market and working through some fairly significant design issues.

Ditto! I grill more than I smoke & my MAK 2* grills great. The build quality is great, the company is great & this grill just works! Glad I bought it!
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd consider a kettle with grillgrates for grilling ... it's pretty easy ... and I like it better as my pellet grill you have to take it apart in order to grill. A nice flat top is also great for griddling a lot of stuff. Good luck and adventure.
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #10
STLBBQer
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my Blaz’n Grand Slam, but I can’t recommend it for grilling. It’ll get to 450F, but doesn’t really do a great job. For smoking it’s fantastic and is built like a tank. If you can afford it, a Mak 2 is pretty awesome. My GS was about $1200 when I got it and that was at the top of my price range. If you can swing the Mak 2 price, I’ve never heard a bad word about them.
WGA Charcoal
Genesis SA-E-325s

BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker
STLBBQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #11
stljay
On the road to being a farker

Pitts and Spitts makes a mighty sturdy grill. It’s got the trapdoor grill feature. If you need smoking capacity, hard to beat Pitts and Spitts offerings. Probably the best direct grill pellet on the market is the Fast Eddy PG500. But it doesn’t have that much capacity to smoke. I have never seen a MAK. Wish I did but if budget isn’t an issue I really doubt you could go wrong with a 2*. It would be at the top of my list. I will be interested to see what the LSG comes out like. Seems pretty feature laden per their website!

Old 06-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #12
darita
is One Chatty Farker

MAK and Yoder, you can't got wrong. Just to throw something out there...I have a MAK2 and just got a Masterbuilt Gravity Fed. If versatility is what you're looking for, along with good smoke flavor and ease of use, it's hard to believe how well the Masterbuilt performs. And believe it or not, it's easier to use than a MAK2. Plenty of stuff on YT. Just a thought...

Old 06-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #13
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

That MB has a good price point. I like how fast they get hot. If it was a little bit better quality-wise, I’d have one in a heart beat!
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2020, 09:24 PM   #14
Nokare
Found some matches.

On my GMG I ran some grill grates and had no issues grilling on them And I never used the direct grill feature, I just cranked up the heat. Curious to exactly what issues you have had grilling on a pellet cooker.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #15
Nokare
Found some matches.

Curious what issues you guys are talking about having grilling on a smoker. On my gmg I had some grill grates that I would regularly grill on. I never used the direct grill feature, just cranked the heat.