• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Maiden Voyage With A Vortex

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Turned my back on it for a few minutes and the grill got way to hot. Was seasoned with KosmosQ ghost pepper and Nashville Hot chicken which burnt a little. Seasoned the legs with loot n Booty Gold Star Chicken Rub.

Even with the charred rub they were pretty good. Super crispy skin

What vent setting do you use with a vortex when cooking wings?

Thanks,

Matt
7a743ee7cff8034f5acc0ad4d5af954f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I've only done them once or twice on the kettle because I like them better on my kamado. I just always ran the vents fully open. It pegs the needle on the kettle and gets over 400 on the kamado. Never had any issues with burning though.

I usually run briquettes in my Vortex, which I find runs cooler than lump. I usually run vents and intake about 75% open. Pull when the food is done, for chicken I can tell when that is by when it starts pulling away from the bone. I also cook thickest part facing the Vortex, so for example those drums I’d have flipped in the other direction.

I run the vents wide open and usually get a grate temp right about 400 on the cheap oven therm I keep on the grate.

Thanks,

What size Vortex are you running?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

yep. wide open. i have the medium size for the 22.5 weber. no flip, just rotate the lid every 10 minutes for 40 minutes, toss in sauce then back on for another 10-15 minutes. perfect every time.

Had the medium first then picked up the small and gave the medium away, ran the vents the same for both.

Medium vortex and top and bottom vents wide open. Don't make the same mistake I did the first time and not let the coals get hot enough before I put chicken on. Skin was pretty good, but after that I waited longer and now it's great!

I used mine for the first time this past weekend. I have the medium for my 22.5. I also ran my vents wide open. Worked awesome. Wings were fantastic. I like mine well done and they were perfect. Nice crispy skin and the meat was juicy.

Another vote for wide open with briquettes on the 22.5. I only fill the Vortex about half full and let it get fully lit. I'm one who moves the meat around as they cook.

I use a medium Vortex on my 22" kettle with vents 100% open. I rotate lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes for about 40 minutes or so.

I get a large Weber chimney fully lit with briquettes and then dump it into the Vortex. Perfect wings every time.

Back