Shirley Lead Time

LINY

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have been in touch with Tyler this week regarding a 24x50 smoker. The lead time is 32 months! Is the almost three year wait worth it??

The answer is yes. But of course that is a long time to wait..........for something you won't get many other places.

When I knew I didn't use my 30x70 Shirley I sold it, but knew (even as little as I stick burn) I couldn't be without a Shirley so I ordered the 24x36 which only has like a 8-10 week wait.

You could shorten the time by checking out the 24x36 patio as it has a ton of space. But totally get ordering something custom. Hell you could order the 24x36 and just sell it when your's is done in 3yrs. What did you order that the 24x36 doesn't have? Trailer, etc?

Or you have options to find a similar stickburner in the short time to play with while your's is being built? It's a long wait, but it's either wait or maybe never have one. All up to you. There are other builders out there that make solid cookers with shorter build times.

If you want a fully custom. To what ever your idea's and pocket book can afford. And easy to run. Non standard production type smoker. Top quality.
Like the wait time suggests. Then yes.
If your looking for a standard 24X50 or very similar. Then you might not want to wait.
There are plenty of choices of quality smokers.
Paul and Tyler have proven many times over. They build custom top quality smokers. Also coming out with new ideas. And they work, are easy to run.

The answer is yes. But of course that is a long time to wait..........for something you won't get many other places.

When I knew I didn't use my 30x70 Shirley I sold it, but knew (even as little as I stick burn) I couldn't be without a Shirley so I ordered the 24x36 which only has like a 8-10 week wait.

You could shorten the time by checking out the 24x36 patio as it has a ton of space. But totally get ordering something custom. Hell you could order the 24x36 and just sell it when your's is done in 3yrs. What did you order that the 24x36 doesn't have? Trailer, etc?

Or you have options to find a similar stickburner in the short time to play with while your's is being built? It's a long wait, but it's either wait or maybe never have one. All up to you. There are other builders out there that make solid cookers with shorter build times.

That is a good idea - if this is your first stick burner there's definitely a learning curve, so you could become a fire tending expert while you wait for your custom build to complete.

Their website doesn't show a 24 x 36. It only shows the 24 x 42 for $1995.
No mention of the cost or lead time either.
Did they change their mind?

Please dont let the wait time stop you. I wanted one and at that time there was a 7 month wait. I foolishly thought the wait time would go down, so I was going to get one later. Now, my health will not make it to the wait time, so I won't get that off my bucket list. Remember, none of us live forever...

Their website doesn't show a 24 x 36. It only shows the 24 x 42 for $1995.
No mention of the cost or lead time either.
Did they change their mind?
They might be listed on their Facebook page. I'm not on fb
Or call as ask about the 24X36

They might be listed on their Facebook page. I'm not on fb
Or call as ask about the 24X36

I don't do Facebook either. I did call and left a message.
I have a Lang 60D that works fine but it's just the wife and me now so I don't need all that cook room. The smaller Shirley should be easier to move around if necessary and maybe even use less wood.

I'm also curious about their business model. They gained the current reputation because only Paul or Tyler did the work. They've expanded recently but I haven't heard anything about their quality control efforts.
Too many times we've seen companies expand and the quality suffers.

I mailed in my payment for their 24x36 cooker on December 11th. The delivery company called me and said that they should be in San Diego this Sunday to drop it off. This was a total surprise for me because total wait was less than 4 weeks.

the website is having issues so do not message them through there and email Tyler directyly . they are getting a new web huy and the 36 models have never been on the website . they do have a couple videos on you tube discussing price bt they will not do the wrap around shelf any more with the short lead time do to the time it takes to make .

I’ve read this question a couple times and see it fairly frequently.

My answer is No. if you have to ask, then no...it’s not. People who jump on a 30 month list for those smokers know exactly why they are doing it.

If you want a smoker now, then it’s not worth the wait. Buy one used, they do come up fairly often. Or if you can afford it buy something else to use in the mean time.

But if you have you ask....

32 months is a long time to wait on anything that you are jonesing for right now.

Would it be worth it to me? Nope

The idea of getting a stand in cooker to lose your training wheels with is a valid plan.

Would it buy me 32 months? Not a chance in hell :razz:

But- You gotta do you.

The 36 model has a lead time of 8/10 weeks..... we did this because there are only a few options you can add to the build.... Custom builds take more skilled labor and we have only a very few that we will let do that..... Tyler does a lot more than cookers. He is highly respected in our community and can do just about anything.... he is as I type in the process of buying some commercial property from my sister that has a building on it.... he will add on to it and also will be buying a high definition plasma table that will accept 8ft wide X20 long sheets of plate.... it will eventually be a game changer for him...Tyler has a goal and he will get there eventually.... I am telling you this employees that are reliable and have a good work ethic are very hard to find..... I have about 5 more years at the refinery then I will be a full time shop rat I suppose.....

I have a Lang 60D that works fine but it's just the wife and me now so I don't need all that cook room. The smaller Shirley should be easier to move around if necessary and maybe even use less wood.

I'm also curious about their business model. They gained the current reputation because only Paul or Tyler did the work. They've expanded recently but I haven't heard anything about their quality control efforts.

Well here it is.... as long as I suck breath.... no junk will leave our shop I assure you of that.... we are a very small outfit.... but I will take 3 of our guys.... me Tyler and his brother Ross and stand beside anyone on the planet and build.... sure Tyler has a few other guys.... they are learning... and you use them where they fit.... I am speaking for Tyler... he does not do face book or Forums.... I am the man for that.... it is like this you know the deal when you order from us... if you Can't handle the wait on a custom build there are many other qualified builders out there.... No harm No foul either way with us.... I have even recommended a couple to people.... prolly no more tho because they never have anything good to say about us..... but then again we have a great enough following that you just accept some of the haters.....

I’ve read this question a couple times and see it fairly frequently.

My answer is No. if you have to ask, then no...it’s not. People who jump on a 30 month list for those smokers know exactly why they are doing it.

If you want a smoker now, then it’s not worth the wait. Buy one used, they do come up fairly often. Or if you can afford it buy something else to use in the mean time.

But if you have you ask....

one good thing about our smokers is.... extremely good re-sale value.... in fact a lot of folks will sale for more than they paid for it originally

I'm impressed with the young men of shirley fab. I do a trade myself and have taught several young men a skill. it takes time to train a man and mistakes will be made but the leader is responsible for what comes out of their shop. passing on the knowledge of a trade is one of the things I'm most proud.

if I'm going to be curious of a company's business model that has customers lined up for 3 years it's only to try and figure out what they are doing right so I can emulate it

All I know is buy once cry once LOL. The Shirleys seem to be salt of the earth people I have not met them but I asked a question or two on here and Paul promptly replied. I have exchanged several emails with Tyler asking the same questions I am sure he answers many times a day. His replies were always pleasant and informative and never rushed. This attention to detail as well as their stellar reputation on social media resulted in a 24x36 order.

Can’t wait.

The prices dont bother me at all, the wait does...just because I’m a want it now type of person....amazon prime sometimes isn’t good enough and I need to order it via prime now and have it same day:)

That being said, I think I need to contact them and see about a patio cooker and suck up a 4-8 week wait...I do like a few other builders also but I’ve never, ever, ever heard a bad thing about a Shirley cooker or the team that builds them...that says a lot imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back