• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Blue Rhino Loose on the High Plains! - w/Pr0n

Out of the park.
Never had anything be a slam dunk out of the box.
But we all liked the smash burgers off this griddle.
I've been slobberin over these for a while now, but I really don't have room or the crowd for a full blown griddle.
But one this size works for us.
Still a lot to learn, but I'm encouraged to keep working with it.

Thanks Shadow Driver for the slap on the back to get me off the fence. :biggrin1:

I used my Lodge Meat Press to do the smash.

Nice Marc!

You know, as much repeat sales as Lowe's, HD, and other various BBQ stores get from this board, they should all give us discounts. One Brethren buys a neat smoker / tool / whatever, twenty more get sold via word of mouth.

... your crew is going to love the breakfast cooks on that!

Bingo! You're not even kidding. It was awesome.

pR5eDevh.jpg

Man you nuked that from orbit lol! Look at all that delicious breakfast, you can almost taste it from here that's outstanding!

Once you cook breakfast on one it's hard to go back to pans, I ever do another kitchen remodel I'm building one in.

You just keep bringing the goodies. That looks delicious.
Now I'm thinking about a Razor. I like the compact size. 1 burner or 2? Does the top flip over and act as a cover like the Backstone 17? Decisions, decisions.

Now I'm thinking about a Razor. I like the compact size. 1 burner or 2? Does the top flip over and act as a cover like the Backstone 17? Decisions, decisions.

It's one burner (18,000 BTUs). The top does NOT flip over.... that would be really nice.

I didn't expect the "nice options/features" with such an inexpensive piece of kit.

It's one burner (18,000 BTUs). The top does NOT flip over.... that would be really nice.

I didn't expect the "nice options/features" with such an inexpensive piece of kit.

You can get an adapter to refill the small tanks from an inverted 20lb bottle, keeps the cost way down to use it.

I have a couple little Mr. Buddy heaters that use them and have been refilling those small bottles forever with it.

Great looking patty melt, one of my favorites! Nice looking breakfast, too.

Norm informed me I won a 17" Blackstone in the fundraiser and will ship this week. Really looking forward to trying it out. Will run a few small bottles of propane through it to gauge how much it uses then may get a stainless braided hose for a 20# tank. Saw a 10' with good reviews on Amazon for under $25.

What were the seasoning instructions that came with the Rhino?

What were the seasoning instructions that came with the Rhino?

Paraphrased from the instructions:

- Wipe down the griddle with a dry paper towel
- Burner on High for 15 Min
- Let griddle cool a bit, then apply thin coat of finishing oil (they suggest flax seed) to entire griddle surface with paper towel

Repeat the burner on high / oil application x 3.

Cleanup was pretty easy after breakfast. Scraped all the food bits off into the drain. Ran it on high. Let it cool a bit. Hit any stubborn bits with a damp rag/towel. Applied thin coat of oil. Heated up one more time. One more oil application. Cleaned out the drain cup. Good to go for next time.

And just like that I ordered a 22in Blackstone. Thanks, ShadowDriver.
$121.95, shipping and tax included.
It ain't cheap being a Brethren. :biggrin1:

Man I got to stop looking this appears to be contagious.My wallet is already running on E from HS Prom purchases.Good choice guys.:grin:

Paraphrased from the instructions:

- Wipe down the griddle with a dry paper towel
- Burner on High for 15 Min
- Let griddle cool a bit, then apply thin coat of finishing oil (they suggest flax seed) to entire griddle surface with paper towel

Repeat the burner on high / oil application x 3.

Cleanup was pretty easy after breakfast. Scraped all the food bits off into the drain. Ran it on high. Let it cool a bit. Hit any stubborn bits with a damp rag/towel. Applied thin coat of oil. Heated up one more time. One more oil application. Cleaned out the drain cup. Good to go for next time.

Might want to use something other than flax seed oil. I have had a problem with it peeling. Now I just use Crisco.

How big of a grease mess does the Blue Rhino leave behind? I've stopped using my Blackstone because of the mess. Hoping degreaser will get the nastiness out of the deck. Although I do miss making Oklahoma Onion Burgers. Mmmm...

How big of a grease mess does the Blue Rhino leave behind?

At the moment, the mess has been minimal. The griddle drains very well into about a 3/4-1 cup sized cup in the front left corner. I've had the occasional free range hash brown from this morning, but nothing too crazy just yet (knock on a woodlike substance).

I've been using Peanut Oil on mine. And occasionally seared fingertips. :hand:
It's working fine. We had breakfast on the patio this morning.
Bacon and scrambled eggs.
Wife said it smelled like we were camping. I have to agree, it tasted like we were camping. It tasted great!

They do say to not use corn oil to season with. Seems the sugar in corn oil burns on and mucks up the griddle.
I have to run mine on low to low/medium. Still, stuff cooks fast on it. :grin:

Last edited:
How big of a grease mess does the Blue Rhino leave behind? I've stopped using my Blackstone because of the mess. Hoping degreaser will get the nastiness out of the deck. Although I do miss making Oklahoma Onion Burgers. Mmmm...

My limited experience has been like Shadow Diver's.
Very minimal. But the griddle on these is pan-like, so the only escape is into the catch cup.
I did take the time to level mine up on the table I was using. That seemed to help a lot in my case, but just home made Bacon and Scrambled Eggs this morning.

Back