Eastern NC Ribs in the Instant Pot?

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
No time for smoking today, so I'm thinking about ribs in the InstantPot. Was wondering if one could braise them under pressure with a vinegar based sauce like Lillie's ENC?

I'm wondering if they would get that good vinegar flavor.

I love my instant pot, but the first time I cook ribs in it, I will throw the thing in the trash. I understand no time, but that's when you cook something else.

Reminds me of a line I heard on TV the other day...
"How can I make my 12 hour ribs without my crock pot?".

I just got all mushy. :drama:

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I love my instant pot, but the first time I cook ribs in it, I will throw the thing in the trash. I understand no time, but that's when you cook something else.

Thanks for that pithy observation.

I am sure the IP will do a great job at getting them to your tenderness. Guessing 1 cup of water and the metal rack ... 35min high pressure and natural release..

Sauce them and hit with broiler :icon_smile_tongue:

Thanks. I have the technique - they turn out pretty durn good for 1 hour ribs, including 15 minutes or so getting some bark on them. I'm just wondering if I can get that good ENC vinegar flavor.

most ENC cooks don't apply the mop till the end of the cook so I would try to apply when barking them. vinegar sauce id so watery.

I have concentrated the sauce by simmering it on a bowl on the grill... it gets syrupy and super flavorful

If you're in this situation again, there was a dish my mother used to make. She'd cook spares in tomato sauce to have with pasta. Now, I'm generally not a fan of "boiled" ribs, but these things were always a highlight if they showed up in a given month. Somehow the pork, the fat, the tomato sauce just set each other off really well.

Some people around here get their panties in a bunch when confronted with alternate methods not including a smoker, but the only thing that counts is whether or not the finished product is delicious. Braising in a vinegar sauce and finishing in a broiler or gasser to set the bark sounds like a good plan to me. Pork spare ribs are delicious and there are great ways to cook other than a smoker. Enjoy.

But will you get the good ENC flavor? Without smoke probably not but you should get a good vinegar flavor down to the bone. Let'r rip and post pics

Disclaimer: I prefer my ribs smoked however.

Me too. But I have to go drop my bride off at the airport, so no time.

Your method sounds like a total time of 1:30 to 1:45. That's not bad, but I have cooked baby backs in my gasser, start to finish in 2:00. They were great. Good luck

p.s. Maybe you could just get an old worn out pocket watch and get more time that way.

1 hr season to plate. 45 minutes in the cooker, including steam release, 10-15 on the grill.

Some people around here get their panties in a bunch when confronted with alternate methods not including a smoker, but the only thing that counts is whether or not the finished product is delicious. Braising in a vinegar sauce and finishing in a broiler or gasser to set the bark sounds like a good plan to me. Pork spare ribs are delicious and there are great ways to cook other than a smoker. Enjoy.

But will you get the good ENC flavor? Without smoke probably not but you should get a good vinegar flavor down to the bone. Let'r rip and post pics

Disclaimer: I prefer my ribs smoked however.

While I agree that end flavor is what is important, and if people like boiled ribs, more power to them. I am curious though, how many people that don't want a pellet grill, because they don't put out enough smoke, are willing to eat pressure cooked, baked, gas grilled ribs?

There is no relation between or meaning to any of those things. We all eat stuff that is not smoked and cooked other ways, but that has nothing to do with what kind of smoker you purchase.

There is no relation between or meaning to any of those things. We all eat stuff that is not smoked and cooked other ways, but that has nothing to do with what kind of smoker you purchase.

I wasn't taking a shot at anyone, or trying to stir anything up. There were several comments in this thread that raised that question in my head. Like I said in a previous post, I love my IP. I also bake in my oven, and use a gas grill. For me, it was one of those things that made say hmm. Sorry if you or anyone was offended.

I have finished ribs in my IP, but i start them off naked in my smoker to get some smoke flavor and color first. Then i sauce the $hit out of them and put them on the steamer rack with a 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar and a 1/2 cup of blues hog in the pot. 20 min and they are perfect.

Back