Pastrami attempt, and a ribeye

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I started corning a brisket a couple weeks back. Life happened and I just got around to doing something with it today. Off the top of my head I want to say it's been in the brine about 16 days. Probably a bit long, I saw 10-14 days thrown around but I figure it only cures so much and YOLO'd it. I needed to get the Shirley hot after getting a coat of paint last weekend.

I brought the cooker temps up slowly using using a chimney of charcoal, and eventually a split or two, to reach 250* after several hours. Then I put the corned beef on and a few hours later, a cowboy ribeye for a reverse sear. I tried a new method of searing over a charcoal chimney full of hot coals. It worked alright but I think I prefer the sear on the Primo XL using cast iron grates. Maybe next time I'll just try the warmer with the damper open.

Anyhow, I took the brisket up to about 155* and will put a chunk of it in the Instant Pot tomorrow for the pastrami "steam" treatment. It's my first time using the IP to make pastrami, and given the long cure time, I dunno how it'll even turn out but it looked pretty nice when I pulled it.

Being able to nose the trailer down a bit to account for a very slight grade in my driveway was nice. It did indeed even out the left to right temps almost perfectly, whereas on the golf cart on the very slight incline there was sometimes 5-10 degrees difference depending on other variables. It's also a lot more enjoyable to wheel around in the driveway, most due to the trailer dolly BBQ Freak was so gracious to hook me up with. I still haven't taken it out on the road yet as you might have guessed from the sticker still on the tire, but I plan to this week weather permitting.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 149
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 149
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 151
  • s44.jpg
    s44.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 148
  • s00.jpg
    s00.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 152
  • s0.jpg
    s0.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 148
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 148
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 150
French Bread,butter and garlic,count me in on the ribeye.Looks divine.That other stuff you are doing,good luck.I have tried 6 ways and on Sunday,just cannot nail it.

It all looks great

I am partial to cooking a great steak on the chimney no matter how many cooking toys we have

Not sure yet, still have to steam the pieces in the Instant Pot. Planning on that for dinner, so hopefully it's good.

Well the point wouldnt fit in my 8 QT instant pot without cutting it in half, and I wasnt sure if stacking 2 chunks on top of one another would affect cook time so I just have the thicker half of the point in there with some Minors au jus.

Fingers crossed. I have my rye bread ready to go.

Attachments

• 20180819_112901~2.jpg
    20180819_112901~2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20180819_113243~2.jpg
    20180819_113243~2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 72
Oooh. Fancy with the "Aw juice!"

Hope your IP pressure finish goes as well for you as it has for me.

Lately, I've had to run mine through once for about 30 min (natural release), then it didn't quite probe tender all over... so another 15 min (natural release) did the trick.

Looking forward to your update(s) in a bit.

I saw your post and set mine for 40 mins :thumb: I'll either be having pastrami sandwiches or spaghetti o's for lunch lol.

I also took the Shirley trailer on its first drive today....I needed to back it into the garage, and figured if I was hitching up I would take it with me to the grocery store to see how she does. Unsurprisingly, she towed great. Looking forward to taking it somewhere for a cook.

Well it turned out pretty tasty. I have about a pound and a half left that is sliced. I think I'll just vacuum seal and freeze the other 2 pieces until I'm ready to eat them at a future date, as opposed to pressure cooking, slicing, then sealing now.

Attachments

• 20180819_134328.jpg
    20180819_134328.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20180819_134131.jpg
    20180819_134131.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 58
  • 20180819_134534.jpg
    20180819_134534.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 58
Oh, hell yes.

I also found that (duh :doh:) putting the pastrami in the fridge makes it MUCH easier to slice for sandwiches the next day/what-have-you.

I'd crush that sammich, brother. Looks great!

40 minutes do you right in the IP, or did you have to go back for seconds?

I did have to go about 10 more minutes. But it was pretty much spot on after that. I used quick pressure release as well, not sure how that played into it.

Back