Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

I pull the brisket when the flat is done. The point seems to be done when the flat is done. You can always separate the point from the flat and cook it more when the flat is done if you want to.

I pull the brisket when the flat is done. The point seems to be done when the flat is done. You can always separate the point from the flat and cook it more when the flat is done if you want to.

Last thing, what temperature are you guys keeping your LSG at for brisket? I know it varies greatly by size, but how long would an average 12 pounder take you?

Around 4-5 hours to get the bark I want and then less than 2 hours once wrapped. Rest for multiple hours

Around 4-5 hours to get the bark I want and then less than 2 hours once wrapped. Rest for multiple hours

Gotcha, so you wrap after the 4 hours and take it off when it is still wrapped? I am just getting started wrapping it. Must not be like ribs where you wrap, take them out of the wrap and put them back on naked.

Yes, take it off wrapped. You vent it for a few minutes when you take it out of the smoker, then close the foil and let it rest in the foil. Some people will take it out of the foil and put it back in the smoker after it has rested to reset the bark before slicing, but I don't. I have found that if I open the foil a few minutes before I want to slice it, the bark will firm back up again.

Yes, take it off wrapped. You vent it for a few minutes when you take it out of the smoker, then close the foil and let it rest in the foil. Some people will take it out of the foil and put it back in the smoker after it has rested to reset the bark before slicing, but I don't. I have found that if I open the foil a few minutes before I want to slice it, the bark will firm back up again.

Thank you, I have butcher paper which hopefully will work as well.

Butcher paper will work fine, some people prefer it. I didn't have the success with paper as I did with foil. I also like to collect the au jus to dunk the slices in.

I'm doing a 10 pound pork butt for pulled pork. First time on my mini and have lot of people coming over so trying to gauge for a 4pm meal this Saturday. Do you run it at 275 as well? Is an hour a pound accurate cook time?

I'm doing a 10 pound pork butt for pulled pork. First time on my mini and have lot of people coming over so trying to gauge for a 4pm meal this Saturday. Do you run it at 275 as well? Is an hour a pound accurate cook time?
I cook pork butts at 275 as well. I usually wrap in foil when I get the color I want, usually takes 4-5 hours. Usually takes a few hours once in the wrap. I cook to at least 195 then check for tenderness. I don't really gage time by weight of the meat. I try to get the meat on early and let it rest in a cooler if it gets done early. Probably an 8-9 hour cook. If you get behind on time, you can up the temperature once it is wrapped and get it done faster. Pork butts are really forgiving.

I cook pork butts at 275 as well. I usually wrap in foil when I get the color I want, usually takes 4-5 hours. Usually takes a few hours once in the wrap. I cook to at least 195 then check for tenderness. I don't really gage time by weight of the meat. I try to get the meat on early and let it rest in a cooler if it gets done early. Probably an 8-9 hour cook. If you get behind on time, you can up the temperature once it is wrapped and get it done faster. Pork butts are really forgiving.

Thanks again, looks like ill be up at 5am starting the fire.

Came out amazing

Attachments

• 20180901_184319.jpg
    20180901_184319.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 430
  • 20180903_185801.jpg
    20180903_185801.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 414
Looks really good, I like the color of the bark.

Thanks, I wonder if I let it go little too much. The bark was actually a little crispy when I shredded it I had to remove some due to it being hard. Everything was very moist inside and shredded easily.

Anyone by chance have experience with these LSG cabinets in comparison to a Humphreys cabinet? Have a Humphreys currently and I like it but I don’t LOVE it and the things I don’t like seem to be answered by the LSG cabinets... anyone here used both before by chance?

Last edited:
Anyone by chance have experience with these LSG cabinets in comparison to a Humphreys cabinet? Have a Humphreys currently and I like it but I don’t LOVE it and the things I don’t like seem to be answered the the LSG cabinets... anyone here used both before by chance?

I haven't used a Humphrey's, but I almost bought one until I found LSG. Not knocking Humphrey's, but what changed my mind was the building process. These things are tanks. No doubt in my mind it will outlast me and be around for a few generations if taken care of.

I haven't used a Humphrey's, but I almost bought one until I found LSG. Not knocking Humphrey's, but what changed my mind was the building process. These things are tanks. No doubt in my mind it will outlast me and be around for a few generations if taken care of.

Exactly my opinion as well.

Has anyone had the task to change the seal on your LSG insulated cabinet? After 4 years of use I was wondering if anyone had any trouble taking the screws out so you can take the flanch off. Did they snap or is their anything that can do to avoid this happening? I understand that I would have to replace with new screws, but I just want to make sure I get the buggers out!

Regards.

Has anyone had the task to change the seal on your LSG insulated cabinet? After 4 years of use I was wondering if anyone had any trouble taking the screws out so you can take the flanch off. Did they snap or is their anything that can do to avoid this happening? I understand that I would have to replace with new screws, but I just want to make sure I get the buggers out!

Regards.
I replaced mine a while back. It wasn't too bad. I had a couple of screws that got stuck, but I finally got them. I wouldn't use power tools to remove them and make sure you have the right size of phillips head bit for the screws. The new seals are way better than the original rope gasket style. Go slow and don't strip the heads and you should be fine.

Back