• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Any Dallas / Fort Worth Recomendations

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Heading into DFW tonight, any outstanding restaurants I should visit?
BBQ, Tex-Mex, little Mom and Pop places. Last time I was there i found a great little Donut Shop in Haltom City.

I plan on visiting the Stockyards Steak House, but have a week of empty days for other recommendations. Open to any recommendations for great food.

Thanks
Bob

On the recommendation of Frognot, I tried Heim Barbecue right outside of Love Field and it was very good, if you are in the mood for that type of cuisine. It makes me ready for another North Texas Bash just so I can go back.
This is fatty brisket, jalapeno cheddar sausage, bacon burnt ends, potato salad and Hatch Chile Mac and Cheese. I know you usually don't use sauce with your meals, and that cup of sauce remained unopened because nothing needed it

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_110951041.jpg
    IMG_20210423_110951041.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 147
There's so much great barbeque around here that the list gets long quick.
407, Goldee's, Panther City, Daynes, are what come to mind on the Fort Worth side.
Terry Black's, Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, Slow Bone, and Cattleack on the Dallas side.
Meshack's in Garland is a great spot for ribs. No seating.

Tex-mex/Mexican - Avila's in Dallas is awesome. Ojeda's just down the road from it is pretty darn good, too. El Pueblo in Oak Cliff makes great Mexican food, but they sometimes hit folks with a "gringo tax" and some folks find the neighborhood a little sketchy. La Mexicana up in Denton is good - great migas. Joe T. Garcia's is a Fort Worth institution. There's a local chain called Blue Goose Cantina that lots of folks like.

Norma's Cafe in Oak Cliff and Mama's Daughters Diner (original is Dallas Design District) are home-cookin' classics (I think Norma's is better). All Good Cafe in Deep Ellum is worthwhile (great everything, but the chili, chicken fried steak, and bacon are all noteworthy). Rodeo Goat (several locations) has great burgers. Easy Slider in Deep Ellum is great, too. If a gastropub is something you want to check out, maybe try Meddlesome Moth in Dallas. A pretty nice restaurant in downtown Fort Worth is Reata.

Last edited:
Bucee's is something to behold, think of a WalMart with 100 gas pumps. No 18 wheelers allowed. And yep, In-N-Out beats Whataburger hands down.

I mostly agree about the burgers at In-N-Out vs. Whataburger especially given the price difference, but In-N-Out fries are disgusting while Whataburger onion rings are one of the best fast food items available.

Thanks

Thanks for all of the recommendations, a lot to digest (pun intended). Due to small screen and old age eyes, internet access will be limited for me from here on, but I'll check in a couple times a day to see if there are new recommendations.

On the recommendation of Frognot, I tried Heim Barbecue right outside of Love Field and it was very good, if you are in the mood for that type of cuisine. I know you usually don't use sauce with your meals, and that cup of sauce remained unopened because nothing needed it

I'll be near the Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station (Carswell Field), so I am close to Heim. Heim and Angelo's both have 4.5 stars, will definitely try Heim. Surprised you picked up on my little use of sauce.

Bucee's is the one place I make sure to eat when I'm in Dallas. Then In-N-Out.

407 BBQ north on I-35W in Argyle. Killer

Bucee's is something to behold, think of a WalMart with 100 gas pumps. No 18 wheelers allowed. And yep, In-N-Out beats Whataburger hands down.

Many people rave about WhataBurger, I guess I had a bad experience, a very greasy bland burger. Had to put ketchup and mustard on it for some flavor, I guess I'll try a different location.

I'll agree with sliding billy, the onion rings were good.....

Wow, what a list, Thanks......

Last edited:
Last trip to Arizona, I popped into In-N-Out. I'd heard so much about them. It turned out to be pretty similar to every other fastfood burger I'd had. Yeah, there's a little bit of variation, but nothing to get worked up about. I seem to recall the fries sucked. I have no intention of going back unless I'm very hungry with nothing else available. Given that you are in Texas, with BBQ and Mexican food on every corner, that would be the last place I would go.

Can't figure out how to post pictures from my tablet, so a message without pictures.

Found a donut shop with incredibly light pillowy melt in your mouth donuts. Dukes Donuts, what A wonderful delight.

I have to thank ronbrad62 and Frognot for recommendations on Heim BBQ. A home run for great bbq and sides. The downside for me was that the potato salad and coleslaw had a ranch base. Everyone else loved them.

Ronbrad62 was right, no need to think about sauce. Although it was on the table no one even looked for it. The Bacon Burnt Ends were fantastic!

More updates to follow.

Last edited:
Glad you liked it, Bob! Besides hanging with the brethren in Texas, that is my reason for wanting to go back.

Ventured out to Riscky's BBQ for lunch, nothing great. Ventured to Edelwiess German restaurant, not great but good food. Dark paneling from the 60-70's era with dark carpets really makes it look dark and dreary. After a couple liters of Spaten you don't notice it any more, LOL.

Today I'm venturing out for Tex-Mex on DarkStar11's recommendations after some shopping. Headed out to the Joint Base Commissary to see what they have to offer before going to H E B in Burleson.

Last edited:
407, Goldee's, Panther City, Daynes, are what come to mind on the Fort Worth side.
Terry Black's, Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, Slow Bone, and Cattleack on the Dallas side.
Meshack's in Garland is a great spot for ribs. No seating.

Tex-mex/Mexican - Avila's in Dallas is awesome. Ojeda's just down the road from it is pretty darn good, too. El Pueblo in Oak Cliff makes great Mexican food, but they sometimes hit folks with a "gringo tax" and some folks find the neighborhood a little sketchy. La Mexicana up in Denton is good - great migas. Joe T. Garcia's is a Fort Worth institution. There's a local chain called Blue Goose Cantina that lots of folks like.

Norma's Cafe in Oak Cliff and Mama's Daughters Diner (original is Dallas Design District) are home-cookin' classics (I think Norma's is better). All Good Cafe in Deep Ellum is worthwhile (great everything, but the chili, chicken fried steak, and bacon are all noteworthy). Rodeo Goat (several locations) has great burgers. Easy Slider in Deep Ellum is great, too. If a gastropub is something you want to check out, maybe try Meddlesome Moth in Dallas. A pretty nice restaurant in downtown Fort Worth is Reata.

DarkStar11, thanks for the recommendations.

Tried Blue Goose Cantina, food was good, but disappointed that we had to ask for utensils to eat with. Really a busy place. Then we tried Garcia's, limited menu, mostly fajitas but great !

Took a ride up to Dallas and went to Terry Black's, great brisket but the beef ribs were out of this world. No sauce needed.

Well, I'm back from Dallas / Fort Worth.

I visited many eateries, many places not worthy of mention. I will post as I sort the pictures by visits.

First notable place we visited was Heim BBQ on the River in Fort Worth, just outside of the Joint Reserve Base. Suggested by ronbrad62 and Frognot

Definitely an enjoyable visit, quaint rustic simple atmosphere with GREAT food.

I hesitantly tried the Bacon Burnt Ends on the recommendations of the above; They were outstanding!!!! We also ordered brisket, Texas Sausage, Collard Greens, Hatch Chile Macaroni and Cheese, Hand Cut Fries, and Onion Rings. When I picked up the order, it looked like they gave me giant donuts by accident; they were the homemade onion rings.

While there were 3 or 4 bottles of sauce on the table, no one used any because the food stood on it's own with great flavors. However i believe my Granddaughter did dip her fries into some.

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8EoV3UvDw2meDfF2OSktxSu24xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8EoV3UvDw2meDfF2OSktxSu25cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8Eo7bPQc_A_qWPbAh2FObmFa5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

Great, No ! Now you are going to have me looking for flights back to Dallas!
I'm so glad that you all enjoyed the food there, and from the looks of the onion rings, I'm going to have to grab some of those next time.

The best BBQ eatery we visited was Terry Blacks in Dallas. I took my Granddaughter to the Dallas Aquarium and decided to have a late lunch / early dinner.

Unique BBQ restaurant with simple rustic aviance, buy the food by weight. At first it might seem a little pricey, but you can order any size you like, you don't have to get a pound if you only want a single scoop.

Do yourself a favor and don't order the pork ribs; it is not that the pork ribs are bad, but rather that the beef is so far superior, anything else seems so inferior in taste.

All the sides were great, no complaints at all......

The brisket was fantastic, but I went out on a limb and ordered a beef rib just to try them. Definitely a good choice for our feast. Tender melt in your mouth beef, great beefy flavor, with plenty of flavorful bark. If you haven't tried one of his beef ribs, you truly don't know what you are missing.

They were not busy and the pit master allowed me back with him and after washing had a lengthy close up conversation as he wrapped his briskets in butcher paper.

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8Eq9q6Aha6-KCjtq5KsMzj2qaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA
00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8ErzY07xs_OybEj1Om8KMjXy5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8Eqrypesnib_1Y_2iifioqnFV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8Epi-7aZ0WWmwQyVP5yel0VWldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8ErSd4FvnaO7J165yTLuETH5aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8Erm-kspXZoAraMTf5iwz27AldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow
00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8Er8sJ5QfYTNBKx4P67y0I53aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA
00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8EoKbnZJph1TRRYe-xXOeYqUldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

Back