MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:15 AM   #1
superior12000
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Anything butt

Anyone have any good ideas for a anytime butt competition. You can do saveroy or sweet. Just seeing if y’all have any good idling can try.
superior12000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2019, 04:07 AM   #2
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Just so many ways to do pork butt. Brine, no brine. Dry rub. No dry rub till after smoked, add rub after pulling so all the meat gets the flavor from the rub.
Another method I've started doing. I slice around each muscle to separate slightly. Rub in/around an apple chipotle sauce. I make my own apple sauce and add chipotle then blend. But you could use store bought apple sauce and chipotle. Just watch how sugary the store bought stuff might be.
Makes a wonderful glaze and color. Again I add my rub to the pork while being pulled. I use the sauce on bacon, salmon, ribs etc before smoking. Everyone seems to love it. Sweet heat.
I start with 3 chipotle's to 3/4 of a quart of my apple sauce. Want hotter, add more chipotle. Easy to adjust.
Just a thought.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2019, 06:36 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Just so many ways to do pork butt. Brine, no brine. Dry rub. No dry rub till after smoked, add rub after pulling so all the meat gets the flavor from the rub.
Another method I've started doing. I slice around each muscle to separate slightly. Rub in/around an apple chipotle sauce. I make my own apple sauce and add chipotle then blend. But you could use store bought apple sauce and chipotle. Just watch how sugary the store bought stuff might be.
Makes a wonderful glaze and color. Again I add my rub to the pork while being pulled. I use the sauce on bacon, salmon, ribs etc before smoking. Everyone seems to love it. Sweet heat.
I start with 3 chipotle's to 3/4 of a quart of my apple sauce. Want hotter, add more chipotle. Easy to adjust.
Just a thought.
I moved this to the competition section

Ebi, Anything But (not butt) is a side category at many competitions. It means cook anything but BBQ

Superior, you should verify the rules with the organizer to see if there are restrictions on how it is cooked and the presentation. In general, desserts do well for anything but.

I have seen some crazy entries, however. At one competition a team cooked a bunch of seafood and turned in a seafood tower that had to have cost them $200 or more, all to win $100!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Last edited by Ron_L; 04-04-2019 at 08:52 AM..
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Cheesecake

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
GettinPiggy
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
Cheesecake
Cheesecake......It just wins.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
Cheesecake
As long as it's got some sizzle!

Old 04-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #7
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

BBQ swirl cheesecake? Or perhaps a pepper jelly spread on top?
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

One of my favorite comps had both pro and backyard teams and they had an anything but category... which was defined as anything but the 4 meat categories... we judged both pro and backyard entries. I really looked forward to the anything butt because we might get ribeye steak, a lamb chop, twice baked potatoes, grilled shrimp or a dessert.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote