Two Loaves

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ventured into the Rye territory next to my usual sourdough. This particular rye turned out sweet to my taste. (No surprise in that molasses was involved.) It is fine for a breakfast toast. Will try for a NY style rye I can use for sandwiches, particularly pastrami and reuben.

Last edited:
Those loaves look great! I love rye bread. Only made my own a couple of times. I should do more. Last recipe I used called for potato flakes and pickle juice!

Those loaves look great! I love rye bread. Only made my own a couple of times. I should do more. Last recipe I used called for potato flakes and pickle juice!
Yep. Pickle juice is in my next attempt. I think it is a must for a real jewish rye.

Beautiful loaves!

I keep threatening to go down the sourdough rabbit hole...

Beautiful loaves!

I keep threatening to go down the sourdough rabbit hole...
Once you get into it, there's no mystery in it at all. Mine rises 3-4 hrs. after feeding and I don't feed it but once a week unless I intend to use it more often. You can convert other yeast recipes to sourdough easily. I use nothing but.

Once you get into it, there's no mystery in it at all. Mine rises 3-4 hrs. after feeding and I don't feed it but once a week unless I intend to use it more often. You can convert other yeast recipes to sourdough easily. I use nothing but.

Wheres a good starting point, book, website, forum?

Wheres a good starting point, book, website, forum?

Two books I can recommend. "Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast" and "Tardiness Bread". I got them last year and started making bread regularly. One of them will give you lots of information and help you use your starter in different types of bread.

I was mixing rye in with other flours and making some really good bread! I never put sugar in but that is something. I have had a lapse for about a month making sourdough because my starter blew the lid off overnight and I had a hard time getting a new one going. Kept it for a year. I added a new type of whole wheat and it must have been more active. :noidea:

I was mixing rye in with other flours and making some really good bread! I never put sugar in but that is something. I have had a lapse for about a month making sourdough because my starter blew the lid off overnight and I had a hard time getting a new one going. Kept it for a year. I added a new type of whole wheat and it must have been more active. :noidea:
You probably did not have to get a new one going. I took a jar of mine to Conn. over Christmas to make bread there. Had it in the check-in luggage. During the trip it blew the lid and got all over stuff. (Wife was none too pleased.) I scraped what was left in the jar, fead it and by next morning I had a new jar of starter that worked just fine. You don't need much to build on.

Back