MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:09 PM   #16
HogGrog
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

I found boneless turkey breasts a few weeks ago at Whole Foods on Arden Way, although it is not regularly available there. I grabbed the only two they had that day. I agree they can be difficult to source. My experience with Jenny-O has been hit and miss. In general I prefer to cook most proteins bone-in but prefer turkey breasts deboned.
Bar-B-Que ain’t air pollution…
HogGrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2022, 12:43 PM   #17
Kevin James
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogGrog View Post
I found boneless turkey breasts a few weeks ago at Whole Foods on Arden Way, although it is not regularly available there. I grabbed the only two they had that day. I agree they can be difficult to source. My experience with Jenny-O has been hit and miss. In general I prefer to cook most proteins bone-in but prefer turkey breasts deboned.
Thanks for the info! I used to work on Arden Way a couple years ago.

I'll the check Whole Foods in Roseville which is closer to me now.
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #18
Kevin James
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ

I just talked to Thye Butcher Shoppe, and yep, they carry them and they are exactly what I'm after, nice and big, ranging between 9-13lb's they told me. But yeah... pricey at $6.99/lb. Suddenly deboning myself doesn't seem so bad
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2022, 03:45 PM   #19
blackdogbbq21
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Paul

I'm in northern CA also and have been looking like crazy for these same turkey breasts for a long time. Nugget market had them around the holidays in the 5 pound per breast range and around 5.50 per pound, still expensive for turkey but not the worst i've seen. I bought a couple and stuck them in the freezer but haven't had a chance to try cooking one yet. If they turn out well i might see if i can buy a few more from them as it's the closest thing i've found to whats served in a texas bbq joint. I've bought and deboned breasts, it's not a terrible amount of work but the individual breasts were smaller than what i was looking for.

With the meat supply chain how it is right now it's gotten especially difficult to find certain things. My source for duroc spareribs only sells St Louis cut now so i'm looking all over for a new pork rib source.
blackdogbbq21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2022, 12:31 AM   #20
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
It seems to be impossible to find the quality turkey breasts like the bbq joints use without going super expensive from a butcher or online. Butterball, honeysuckle etc all have huge amounts of flavorings which are sometimes fine and sometimes turn out terrible when smoked. I've never tried restaurant depo, bummed to hear they don't offer.

The Texas BBQ restaurants aren’t using anything special.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2022, 06:16 AM   #21
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
I love the Texas Style breast but I gave up looking for boneless-and am just not into the mail order meat thing. If I can find bone-in breasts, they hit my cart. If whole turkey is all they have, I take one home and butcher that sucker. I really only smoke the breast- but the wing, thighs and legs make for some fine turkey and sausage gumbo. And the carcass gets turned into stock- gonna need some sort of stock for the gumbo anyway, right?
This is what I recently did. Had an extra turkey from a Christmas sale. Cooked the breasts then smoked the rest and vac-packed for the gumbo I did a couple of weeks ago.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote