Anybody tried combining H&F with L&S?

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
There are people who prefer on over the other. And the BBQ community ever so often swings from one preference to the other. But I´ve been thinking about the combi for a long cook like e.g. a brisket.

If you go H&F on a brisket, your window when it´s ready is shorter in my experience compared to L&S. You need to watch it closer. L&S is a bit more forgiving.

I wrap my briskets in BP, so I´m thinking about doing that and then power thru the stall. My stickburner likes to run REAL clean at 300-325F. When the brisket hits about 180, taking things down to 225-250F for the finish. As it´s wrapped, a little dirtier smoke won´t hurt it. And it will give the brisket more time to break down fat and collagen.

Yeah, maybe I should just try it. Anybody ever tried it?

I have done the opposite as well with good results. My thought was to start lower to allow more time for smoke and then finish at a higher temp. Seems like your approach would slow down the process at the end and allow more time in that fat breakdown temperature range as opposed to sticking with hot and fast. Let us know how it works out.

+1 for reversed.
On my pellet grill, there is no smoke flavor at higher heats. Therefore, LnS to start and then ramp up the temperature when the meat gets wrapped.

On my drums or cabinet, I cook at the same temp throughout.

I've been suggesting a mixed version of this for a while. Low temp start to lay some smoke on the meat, then crank up the heat to power through the rest of the cook. As it approaches "done" lay off the heat to give yourself a larger "done" window. Then as a final step, a super long rest (more than 4 hours). The 4 hours rest time is made up for by cranking up the heat in middle of the cook.

I did almost exactly that this weekend. 6 hrs at about 275-300 on the stick burner where mine runs nice and clean. I didn't take temps or anything, just pulled it off when it looked good.

After that I wrapped in butcher paper and finished in the oven at 250 and then 225. I lowered the temp to 225 the last few hrs because I didn't want it to finish too early in the morning. Total cook time was about 16 hrs.

I wrapped in towels and put in a really good pelican cooler once done. It was reading right at 140 internal 9hrs after I put it in the cooler.

Was one of the best briskets I've ever made. Who knows could have been a fluke. Just when I think I have briskets figured out I'll make one that's just meh. I do plan to try this method again.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out!

I'm glad I came across this I was actually just searching this group for this precise question.

I like the wood fire flavor of going higher temperatures so I was thinking about 325ish then once past the stall wrap and lower the temperature 225 to 250

I like the method that the other poster said about starting low then going hot then back down to low one you would get more smoke flavor too it would allow the meat to come up to temperature without seizing from the high heat

If you try this method definitely keep us posted

I am a low and slow cooker. Always have been.

Usually 10 hours or so @ 250 or below. Foil pan and in the oven for a long time (another 6+ hours till probe tender) @ 210...Then in the cooler for 4-6 hours. Works every time.

How are you planning to get the cooker temp down once it has been running at 325? I know with a kamado or IVS it is basically impossible. I don't have enough experience with offset stick burners to know if the same is true.

I also do the ramp up temp. 5-8 hours at 225-250 then I start to crank the temp up to 285-300 till its done.

How are you planning to get the cooker temp down once it has been running at 325? I know with a kamado or IVS it is basically impossible. I don't have enough experience with offset stick burners to know if the same is true.

I also do the ramp up temp. 5-8 hours at 225-250 then I start to crank the temp up to 285-300 till its done.

It can be as simple as opening the cooking chamber a bit or the firebox etc. It will obviously take time for all the metal to cool down but it´s possible.

Back