MAK/Otto strike again...

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
...a simple reverse seared tri-tip for some tt salads. Man these two cookers play nicely together :)
b50477199c0cb7cb94a13f3be70f57c5.jpg

e0a466f0c9df326f1b55174499db3e11.jpg

e170fec5b9dea31628154ebb54f09fea.jpg

77a99cb40fd9810b1c17bd9ec4258f73.jpg

Tri trip brings up a lot of memories for me (most of them no bueno). Still the outside color looks awesome.

Why no bueno?

We had a local market chain that sourced some amazing prime beef and also built a locker to dry age their own beef (at reasonable prices). All was well and good until the owner got a message from God to sell the chain and set up missions in Africa. The new owners dumped the actual butchers and also for the next 8 years dumped prime beef (they now on occasion offer prime beef - just not all cuts and not in house dry aged - nor dry aged to order).

While Safeway does sell tritip its about 2x as much as it should be (they leave all the fat/silverskin on it). It's also IMO flavorless compared to what the local place used to source.

So while I love tritip I can't stand that my choices are now relegated to either overpriced garbage or $14/lb. Hence the no bueno memories/association.

Baychilla have you tried cash n carry ?

North is about 44 minutes away assuming no traffic and south is ~40 minutes assuming no traffic.

We don't really have much chain action where I live (Whole Paycheck/Safeway/Albertsons/Lucky/Costco for grocery). There's one near-ish my brothers place in the East bay - I'll ask if they've been there.

Damn, looks killer! I'll have to pull a tri tip out of the freezer for next weekend.

We had a local market chain that sourced some amazing prime beef and also built a locker to dry age their own beef (at reasonable prices). All was well and good until the owner got a message from God to sell the chain and set up missions in Africa. The new owners dumped the actual butchers and also for the next 8 years dumped prime beef (they now on occasion offer prime beef - just not all cuts and not in house dry aged - nor dry aged to order).

While Safeway does sell tritip its about 2x as much as it should be (they leave all the fat/silverskin on it). It's also IMO flavorless compared to what the local place used to source.

So while I love tritip I can't stand that my choices are now relegated to either overpriced garbage or $14/lb. Hence the no bueno memories/association.

What a bummer :(

My Po'man smoker is jealous. Thanks Robb.

Then buy him an Otto to play with, ya big meanie! Already know what your thinking... and no, you’re not gonna find mine on CL for half price anytime soon... lol [emoji849]

Last edited:
Back