MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
Hayduke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Rusty
Default Texas Style food

Those of you who have cooked Texas style on their food truck or for catering how has it worked for you outside of Texas?

I am currently trying out recipes for catering and a food truck and Texas style is as good as the stuff I am coming up with.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

What specifically are you calling "Texas-style"? Are you talking Texas- style bbq, tex-mex or seafood?
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
buenavides
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Calvin

There a huge variety of Texas-style food, try to be more specific.
buenavides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
Hayduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotfehc View Post
What specifically are you calling "Texas-style"? Are you talking Texas- style bbq, tex-mex or seafood?

Salt. Pepper and Garlic for brisket and pork butt. Also have you tried selling beef ribs seasoned the same way?
Old 07-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

My bbq isn't regional specific. I really got started in bbq doing competitions, where the focus is winning not a region of bbq. I focus ou n 100% wood fire cooking, since many like to use gas, and premium meats, local when it makes sense. My brisket is heavily influenced by Texas, and gets great reviews from southerners and Texans, past and present. But I use a lot more than salt, pepper and garlic. I think if got good behind the scene info most placed in Texas are using more than that in their rubs too. As far as outside of Texas, good bbq is going to sell. Unfortunately so will bad bbq, example Famous Dave's. I don't think any bbq style sells any better than the others outside of those regions. Texas is really trending right now tho. If you're calling it texas- style bbq, just make sure it is., seems like that's what you're working on. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
Hayduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotfehc View Post
My bbq isn't regional specific. I really got started in bbq doing competitions, where the focus is winning not a region of bbq. I focus ou n 100% wood fire cooking, since many like to use gas, and premium meats, local when it makes sense. My brisket is heavily influenced by Texas, and gets great reviews from southerners and Texans, past and present. But I use a lot more than salt, pepper and garlic. I think if got good behind the scene info most placed in Texas are using more than that in their rubs too. As far as outside of Texas, good bbq is going to sell. Unfortunately so will bad bbq, example Famous Dave's. I don't think any bbq style sells any better than the others outside of those regions. Texas is really trending right now tho. If you're calling it texas- style bbq, just make sure it is., seems like that's what you're working on. Good luck!
I have a competition team and the food is extremely good just WAY too expensive. When I am at home I use Salt, Pepper, Garlic, and paprika on nearly everything. I am leaning "Texas Style' but I also wanna do my own thing. Adulting is hard.
You are right. There are a few BBQ joints here that are not that good and they are packed!
Old 07-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

I toned things down from the comp-style cooking a little bit, so flavors aren't over the top. But it's similar. I don't use commercial rubs like with comp bbq, but my homemade rubs are very similar. I don't do nearly the trimming or glazing like with comp bbq. In the end good bbq will sell, and when we're outside of bbq-region, you can have s little more freedom with flavors and styles. I try to stay away from novelty bbq like nachos and that.