MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #16
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
For me I would say its like 80% of the flavor with 10% of the "work", but I agree generally. Personally, I like running a fire so I dont necessarily view it as "work" but regardless of what it is, life doesnt always allow me to do it. There was a time I ran my Shirley once or twice a week, and I will be able to do that again someday.

In the meantime I am quite happy with the results my Mak puts out - its "convenience factor" allows me to cook when I otherwise wouldnt have time...but if I am out to cook some people the best barbecue that *I* can, it's happening on the stick burner every time.

For me... stick burner screams RETIREMENT GIFT to self!!! Retirement can’t get here fast enough... lol.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #17
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

I like his channel. Great video

Old 08-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #18
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Nice! Well done video and while I am a bit disappointed by the results, I'm not surprised (I do Brisket on my BGE).

On the bright side, I saw the banner in the background and saw that there is a BBQ place in the Simi Valley that I drive by fairly often. I'll have to stop by and check it out on one of my next trips.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #19
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
Nice! Well done video and while I am a bit disappointed by the results, I'm not surprised (I do Brisket on my BGE).

On the bright side, I saw the banner in the background and saw that there is a BBQ place in the Simi Valley that I drive by fairly often. I'll have to stop by and check it out on one of my next trips.

Yes... BBQ HQ is the BBQ store in the background. I wish I lived closer as it seems like an amazing place with owners/staff that have a TON of passion not only for the craft of BBQ but the community they live it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #20
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Bqhq

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Yes... BBQ HQ is the BBQ store in the background. I wish I lived closer as it seems like an amazing place with owners/staff that have a TON of passion not only for the craft of BBQ but the community they live it.
Yes ..... BBQ Headquarters has a lot of stuff .... smokers ... grills .... rubs... etc..... and a pretty good price on pellets.!!!!
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #21
Jcmhc
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmhc View Post
Is that right? I thought the consensus was that the Maks had the most stickburner-esque flavor profile?
My question may have gotten buried. Is it the case that yoders produce the closest thing to offsets?
Jcmhc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #22
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmhc View Post
My question may have gotten buried. Is it the case that yoders produce the closest thing to offsets?

Honestly, I think that’s just a bunch of marketing hype! All pellet cookers are going to produce the same type of pellet smoke flavor... after all, they are all burning pellets. Although it is not identical to a stick burner flavor profile, it is still very good! Where you will find the difference between pellet cooker‘s is in the amount of smoke they produce. Some manufacturers have these cookers dialed in to a point where the smoke production is quite impressive, while others not so much. This sometimes turns into a silly debate… but I believe the reason you hear so many guys talk about the amazing smoke profile that MAK’s are known to lay down is because of how MAK has programmed the controller to interact with the variable speed fan that they use. I currently cook on a 2019 model and sold my 2017 model to a fellow brethren. The new owner of my 2017 model is actually working to dial the smoke back a bit with more mild pellets. How often do you hear that regarding pellet smokers? Here is a pic of my MAK in action. This was not at start up but rather one of the frequent smoke cycles that it goes through...

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #23
angryelfFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Just watched his beef rib video, not bad at all. I will watch more of his stuff.
Shirley 24 x 42 Straight Back
angryelfFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #24
sudsandswine

Quote:
Honestly, I think that’s just a bunch of marketing hype! All pellet cookers are going to produce the same type of pellet smoke flavor... after all, they are all burning pellets. Although it is not identical to a stick burner flavor profile, it is still very good! Where you will find the difference between pellet cooker‘s is in the amount of smoke they produce. Some manufacturers have these cookers dialed in to a point where the smoke production is quite impressive, while others not so much. This sometimes turns into a silly debate… but I believe the reason you hear so many guys talk about the amazing smoke profile that MAK’s are known to lay down is because of how MAK has programmed the controller to interact with the variable speed fan that they use. I currently cook on a 2019 model and sold my 2017 model to a fellow brethren. The new owner of my 2017 model is actually working to dial the smoke back a bit with more mild pellets. How often do you hear that regarding pellet smokers? Here is a pic of my MAK in action. This was not at start up but rather one of the frequent smoke cycles that it goes through...

In regard to Maks, aside from the controller one of the main differences I have found is how they actually vent the smoke through slots in the back and sides versus a stack like many have. Just one of the things Ive been ponderin' lately : becky:

Old 08-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #25
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

Interesting nobody is factoring price.

Meadowcreek - $9995
Yoder - $4000

And I'll optimistically assume his offset can be custom built for between the cost of the Yoder and Meadowcreek.

If we're just talking one brisket, which the majority of pharkers cook on a weekend, is it really worth the difference compared to:

Kamado Joe - $1200
Weber Kettle W/Slow 'N Sear - $265

?

Last edited by arclite; 08-21-2019 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: changed the kettle price to a one touch
arclite is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 PM   #26
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

do you polish that after every cook or what

Quote:

Old 08-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #27
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
In regard to Maks, aside from the controller one of the main differences I have found is how they actually vent the smoke through slots in the back and sides versus a stack like many have. Just one of the things Ive been ponderin' lately : becky:

Oh yes, I have pondered that many times myself. I can’t help but think it’s another reason for the more pronounced smoke profile that so many report. With rear venting at grate level vs a stack... it’s definitely gonna hold onto smoke longer before exiting. Yes, the smoke seeps out the sides... but it’s still much slower than a wide open stack.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #28
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

These guys are lucky they didn't test a uds. It would have been game over for all the rest :)

Good video.

I'll stick with my set and forget lump charcoal burner

Old 08-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #29
rwalters

Default Blind taste testing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
These guys are lucky they didn't test a uds. It would have been game over for all the rest :)

Good video.

I'll stick with my set and forget lump charcoal burner

Would have loved to see a UDS in the lineup! :)

Old 08-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #30
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Backyard sized offsets are a lot less money though. You could probably make the same comparison with a Lang 36 which runs <$2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclite View Post
Interesting nobody is factoring price.

Meadowcreek - $9995
Yoder - $4000

And I'll optimistically assume his offset can be custom built for between the cost of the Yoder and Meadowcreek.

If we're just talking one brisket, which the majority of pharkers cook on a weekend, is it really worth the difference compared to:

Kamado Joe - $1200
Weber Kettle W/Slow 'N Sear - $265

?
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote