Ribs and Pork Butt Hold Time

TBoneMac

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been asked to cook BBQ for a family reunion (about 30 people) in early October. My family seems to prefer ribs and pork butt.

After I've cooked the meat at my house, it will be a 3-hour drive to the reunion site. And I'm wondering if ribs and pork butt can stand that long of a hold time inside a cooler without becoming mushy.

And would spare ribs versus baby backs make any difference as far as a long hold time is concerned?

I may end up doing the cooking at the reunion site instead of at my house. Making a good impression on these people is important to me. They see my cook journals/blogs on the internet all the time, but they've never eaten my BBQ.

Thanks

3 hrs. isn't bad at all. They'll be fine in a cooler. Keep the ribs wrapped and wait to pull the pork on site.

Agree with the above Don't put too much in a cooler otherwise it will continue to cook When done cooking vent for about 10 min before putting them in the cooler

I know that on the up side (cooking) We are supposed to go from 40°F to 140°F in 4 hours or less for food safety reasons. (I'm not sure how sous vide fits into this) I suspect similar requirements apply on the way back down. In other words, keep the food above 140°F to insure safety. If it drops below 140°F it can start breeding things. That would impress your guests but not in a good way. As far as the quality of the food, I think if you cool it enough to slow/stop cooking you can keep for hours w/out loss of quality.

I'd appreciate comments by others who can confirm, clarify or refute the food safety belief.

I just did 50 racks and held them for 3.5 hours. I pan them and pull them slightly before they are done. They will continue to cook and carry over. I then cut them on site. They were still hot to the touch. I used a Cambro, but a good cooler will have the same effect.

I agree with the others on the pork butt. Pull on site.

I did ribs for a family reunion last year that I pulled off the smoker 30 minutes before they were done the way I like them. Wrapped them at once and into the cooler for the 1 hour drive and 2 hour wait to serve. They came out perfect. On butts cook them until they are done the wrap and put in cooler. I have held butts for 5 hours without any problem.

Back