MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qing View Post
It's only a problem if there's a problem
True

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #17
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

On a concrete patio, plenty of space, a pid controller. Works for me.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #18
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

It isn't the "burn down" factor that I worry about, it is the tempature swings. You just never know when the thing is going to skyrocket, or plummit. Personally, I like to be around mine in case it needs some tweaking. The one time I left it to take the kids to the park, my Maverick's alarm was going off when I got home for low temp. I just like knowing what is going on with it.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #19
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

You shouldn't leave any fire unattended especially if you have it on a deck or near a building.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #20
DC_BBQ
Got Wood.

Thanks for the thoughts. Here is what I think
Bears – Not likely I am smack in middle of the city. The only wildlife around here is rats (human and otherwise.)
Grill being bothered – My “back yard” is a little brick patio with enough room to park a car on but it is completely walled off with very high walls.. No one but spider man gets into my back yard.
Holding the temp – In all honesty I guess I am too much of a newbe with a UDS. I have done several cooks on it so far and it holds a temp nicely but practice make perfect.
Proximity to neighbors - That is what gives me the greatest pause. As a wise man once said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qing View Post
It's only a problem if there's a problem

And the down side risk of that is wa to high.
After thinking it through I think I need more experience with the UDS and perhaps I will do an overnight smoke and hold it in the cooler. DC is nice and hot right now so keeping it in the safe zone shouldn’t be a problem.
So better safe than sorry.
Thanks for the imput
DC_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #21
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Just when you think that "holds a temp nicely" the temp gets out of wack. Sunny, cloudy, raining, windy!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #22
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
If it is on concrete and NOTHING and Nobody is or will anywhere near be it, it should be okay. Then again, I'm a firm believer that if it can go wrong, it will. I will leave my Stumps unattended because it is all enclosed and it doesn't get hot on the outside.
With the IQ on my Stumps I all night

Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #23
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I have passed out errrr..... fell asleep for 8 hours and come back to it sitting at 225 right where I left it. I would not sweat it.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #24
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm from the Camp that throws their meat on,check the temp for about 2 hours...when stabilized take a good night sleep.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #25
AMROCKS
Full Fledged Farker

You can doooiiiit!!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #26
Timmy
Full Fledged Farker

I tell my customers that "it's almost set it and forget it". Leave and go to work for (I'm assuming) 8+ hours, not me cause I know my BDS's (Beautiful Drum Smokers) better than that. Take a nap or leave them for a few hours ... yes not a problem.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #27
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
I'm from the Camp that throws their meat on,check the temp for about 2 hours...when stabilized take a good night sleep.
That's what makes cooking on a UDS, WSM, or even an ECB so worthwhile, once you get the feel of your smoker, you can actually sleep! I've even left my ECB all alone for 6 hours +, and it was still cruising at 240! It's about the cooker's technique, more than the actual piece of hardware used to cook. The extra sleep is a big bonus.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->