Bone Broth

LloydQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hello all. Someone gifted me with some chicken bone broth. Any one have any recommendations on a low cost dish that will feed 12 to 15 people utilizing this?

Hello all. Someone gifted me with some chicken bone broth. Any one have any recommendations on a low cost dish that will feed 12 to 15 people utilizing this?
How much stock did you get? How rich does it look, light or more of an amber in color? I'm assuming it's frozen so you probably can't tell how gelatinous it is without thawing.

Well, those are damn good questions. Unfortunately, I cannot answer them because it is still at work! It looked milky, not amber. Gelatinously speaking, who knows?

DSC07090a.jpg

Mrs ~t~'s CHICKEN AND NOODLES takes about 6 cups of broth, some flour and eggs, and the meat from 1/2 a chicken or maybe 3 breasts, so I guess that's pretty low cost. I like to boil 2 or 3 cubed potatoes as well.

You can use chicken broth in almost any recipe that calls for liquid
that you don't discard. Rice, gumbo, soups & stews etc, etc, etc.

You can make gravy from it for the taters when you cook chicken.

Also, the best French onion soup recipe I have uses half chicken and half beef stock. I've made my own beef marrow bone stock from scratch and it's a world apart from store bought stuff. I imagine chicken stock is the same.

I saw this thread mentioned while reading the cooking in your front yard/driveway thread.

I may get accused of having cars on cinder blocks in my front yard for this, but I use the cheapest canned biscuits cut into 6 or 8 pieces, for my dumplings. They come out sooo light and fluffy.

On a more sophisticated note, I also find C&D to be one of the great uses for leeks.

Gumbo or chicken and dumplings- and hurry before it gets too damn hot to enjoy them :grin:

Thanks, everyone! Got a pot of chicken and dumplings working now. Gonna be lazy and use Pillsbury Flaky Layer whomp biscuits for the dumplings. I am freezing enough broth to make gravy for the next time I do chicken fried steak!

As of late I've gotten lazy and keep a jar of Better Than Bouillon chicken
and beef in the fridge.
It's true to it's name... not nearly as salty and more flavorful.

picture.php

Back