MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I use MooGloo from modernist pantry. It doesn't take a ton of it, but you need to make sure you get all the fat from the skin, because the enzyme won't adhere fat to meat - just meat to meat. Use it in a shaker, and use it sparingly - a little goes a long way, and it's a surefire method of bite through skin.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #17
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny's Gang Barbeque View Post
Meat glue is $100 for 2 lbs. I'll try the egg whites first.
or you could go this route:

http://www.modernistpantry.com/moo-g...utaminase.html

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
polishdon
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzgonewild View Post
leave the skins large enough, and trim down the thighs enough so the skin wraps around and touches itself. During the cooking process the skin will cook together and "fuse".
+1!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
while not absolutely necessary, meat glue is a guarantee. if it's OK for IQUE(per the book)it's OK with me.

it's completely undetectable.
Same feelings here
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Honestly, I feel there's a lot of overcomplication that people put on chicken.

We don't debone, we don't scrape, we don't glue. We just trim neatly and cook good, consistent chicken with a nice flavor on it.

I think that there are so many variations of temperature and process that you just have to find what works best with your pit to produce that end result. We've had a number of wildly different processes over the years for chicken, and all of them work -- you just use the one that works best with your pit and your schedule, that produces a consistent result for you.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Have never put any Elmer's on our Chix, and the only times in the last five years we haven't had bite-thru is when we screwed up the cook. (And I can only think of 2-3 times that happened)

Prep well and perfect your cooking technique and you won't need any chemical or mechanical help for your chicken skin.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote