MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #16
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

If they wanna continue being "industry leader" they better tighten up ....
Smokin D@wg@77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #17
jacobp
Knows what a fatty is.

I had a similar experience with a thermapen that was faulty. After 3 months, they finally refunded my money. I bought a Lavatools Javelin and never looked back. In my experience equal quality to the thermapen and half the price.
jacobp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #18
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
I don't know what has happened to Thermoworks.

They used to be very well respected for their products and customer service.

Seems as though in the past couple of years the quality of the products have dipped and customer service is in the chitter. Sad. Very sad.
I know exactly what happened : they bit off a bit more than they could chew by getting into the router / app / wifi department. My Dad just retired after 30+ years STS (Systems Technology Support) and the stories he tells me about his frustration with routers and networking are hilarious. Stuff will work perfectly for 10 hours and then bam : stop working altogether for no apparent reason.

Grilla Grills has been pushing back against adding Wi-Fi to their smokers because of these types of reasons. Reality is that a lot of people have no idea what they are doing and it's not their fault as it can be extremely complicated.

Imagine trying to troubleshoot this stuff over the phone when people can't even tell you if they're using Android or iOS. haha I am not saying that's the problem in this instance with SmokeDawg, but instead just mentioning that maybe all this extended stuff isn't worth it. Themoworks worked perfectly when it was just the Smoke and had its own receiver.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
I know exactly what happened : they bit off a bit more than they could chew by getting into the router / app / wifi department. My Dad just retired after 30+ years STS (Systems Technology Support) and the stories he tells me about his frustration with routers and networking are hilarious. Stuff will work perfectly for 10 hours and then bam : stop working altogether for no apparent reason.

Grilla Grills has been pushing back against adding Wi-Fi to their smokers because of these types of reasons. Reality is that a lot of people have no idea what they are doing and it's not their fault as it can be extremely complicated.

Imagine trying to troubleshoot this stuff over the phone when people can't even tell you if they're using Android or iOS. haha I am not saying that's the problem in this instance with SmokeDawg, but instead just mentioning that maybe all this extended stuff isn't worth it. Themoworks worked perfectly when it was just the Smoke and had its own receiver.

Your right on money i think... They were almost saying that over the phone "we never seen this problem before " , " can hold please while i ask another tech " , " can you call back tomorrow while we research this " .....On and On basiclly saying ....WE DONT KNOW whats going on

Old 10-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #20
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin D@wg@77 View Post
Tracking says due to arrive back there Thursday , another 7 day trip !! through UPS have no idea why takes 7 days , Also emailed them said i need it back by weekend , they said they would pay for overnight shipping to have it to me by this weekend ....will see, update when and if it works this time ...we will have hit 1 month since purchase date IF it arrives Friday....STILL UNREAL shouldn't be like this
In my experience (My wife would point out considerable experience) FedEx has the slowest shipping, with UPS coming in next.
Fastest has always been USPS. And often after FedEx has bumbled and fumbled a package along, they give it to the USPS and it arrives quickly.

But in the world of the Internet, these dings have to be avoided at all costs.
Because they become the death knell for a business.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #21
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

I avoided WiFi in my MES. I could find incidence after incidence of trouble with built ins.
I opted for separate temperature monitoring, and don't let my butt slow me down about paying attention.
When I'm cookin, I'm cookin.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #22
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyE View Post
I avoided WiFi in my MES. I could find incidence after incidence of trouble with built ins.
I opted for separate temperature monitoring, and don't let my butt slow me down about paying attention.
When I'm cookin, I'm cookin.
True point .....

Old 10-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #23
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

another 7 day trip !! through UPS have no idea why takes 7 days.

Having worked at UPS years ago it appears they are shipping it Ground the entire way (the cheapest way). Sounds to me like they should be paying for UPS Express overnight for all your hassle.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #24
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

I’ve had not so great experiences with their customer service as well.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #25
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyE View Post
By now you would think they would have stopped the ping-pong and just send a new, unopened replacement.
Maybe it was an open boxed unit because the Chinese used defective parts, and the previous owner could not get it to work either?
I've had plenty of experience with that. Not with ThermoWorks, but with Chinese electronics.
My TP-08 has worked great from day one.

Chinese Electronics = As good as, usually is not. Crappy components are still crappy components.
And it damages good reputations.

Thermaworks products are made in England.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #26
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I love the Thermapen and ThemaPop. They do seem to have a problem with remote control like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Just FYI, Here are a couple of reviews I did for Ink Bird. I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=275400

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=271147
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2019, 01:43 AM   #27
KenInk
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Oksana

I feel the same way,man
KenInk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2019, 01:53 AM   #28
KenInk

Thanks man, I appreciate your compliment about our unit,that's means a lot to us from bbq enthusiast like you.our Inkbird has a great reputation about our customer service if you are in Facebook also,will know this.
Any question or problem about our unit,just send us a msg,will reply you asap.
Thanks for choosing n supporting us!:)

Old 10-15-2019, 02:06 AM   #29
KenInk

I really think you should try our Inkbird unit,not trying to sell our unit here but we do have a great reputations about our customer service and unit quality.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #30
Danno44
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Dan

It’s unfortunate what has occurred to say the least. Love my MK4 and my smoke works well.
I agree with Happy Hapgood, my inkbrid’s work excellent, especially for the cost, and use them 99% now with the smoke sitting in a case.
Danno44 is offline   Reply With Quote