MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
OakeyBBQ
Found some matches.

Default Post Oak Wood

Ok. I have been looking to get post oak wood shipped to Iowa for months. I would like to replicate Texas style barbecue in the midwest and have been practicing for months and hope to open up a small trailer within the next couple of years. A seasonal thing since I doubt people would want to eat outside in the middle of December in Iowa. I have asked on other forums and have had little help. So, does anyone know of any business besides fruita wood chunks that could send post oak wood to Iowa in bulk on a regular basis? Either from Texas or anywhere else? Hill Country BBQ in New York gets post oak trucked to them from Texas. I asked where they got it from but they never got back to me. Also, would white oak work just the same? I have looked into white oak but wasn't sure if it would taste the same and the local craigslist people here said they don't organize their wood and it is just random varieties of oak and I would like a reliable source. Any help would be great!
OakeyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
cseymour45
On the road to being a farker

I grew up in Iowa and have only recently lived in Texas for 6 years. My dad and I always used Oak in Iowa (white or red), I highly doubt your customers would ever be able to tell any difference. I would probably fail in a blind fold test and I have used both for years. I don't think it's worth the time in shipping for you to try and get post oak from TX. Find some farmer or anyone with land and seasoned oaks, get you a saw and cut up your own. Save some serious cash. Your Texas style is going to come from only burning wood, seasoning used and sauce styles IMO.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
OakeyBBQ
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseymour45 View Post
I grew up in Iowa and have only recently lived in Texas for 6 years. My dad and I always used Oak in Iowa (white or red), I highly doubt your customers would ever be able to tell any difference. I would probably fail in a blind fold test and I have used both for years. I don't think it's worth the time in shipping for you to try and get post oak from TX. Find some farmer or anyone with land and seasoned oaks, get you a saw and cut up your own. Save some serious cash. Your Texas style is going to come from only burning wood, seasoning used and sauce styles IMO.
Thanks for your response. I was thinking it would be difficult to tell the difference for the vast majority of people. Myself included.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
RolandJT
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree--TX barbecue uses post oak because it is there.

Use other oaks, hickory, or maple which we have plenty of. The other oaks should be similar in flavor.

Hickory maple mix has a more pronounced flavor, but you may even liek it more. I use maple and hickory 50-50 for deer and really like it.
RolandJT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

I read somewhere before that white oak is the closest thing to post oak fwiw

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
churrodog
Full Fledged Farker

Just saw this today. No clue if they could facilitate something for you or not.

http://www.woodchuckdelivery.com/

Old 08-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
OakeyBBQ
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churrodog View Post
Just saw this today. No clue if they could facilitate something for you or not.

http://www.woodchuckdelivery.com/
Thanks for the link. It looks like they only deliver in the Austin area.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
Smokin J's PIts
Full Fledged Farker

http://www.westernbbqproducts.com/
try these guys out
Smokin J's PIts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
krex1010
is One Chatty Farker

Post oak is in the white oak family, any oak tree with rounded lobes on the leaves is in the white oak family and will give similar smoke flavor, beech is related to white oak as well and gives a similar flavor. I have an aversion to paying for wood for cooking, there's usually free wood available if you're open to sticking to local species.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Post oak=white oak=post oak as far as cooking is concerned.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #11
SmokeŽ
Full Fledged Farker

I would use white oak and not look back. Even post oak grown in different type soils will have different flavors.
[COLOR="Silver"]Masterbuilt 40 inch electric [/COLOR]
Smokey Joe Silver mini WSM & Smokey Joe Gold
SmokeŽ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Just to throw another wrinkle at you... Depending on who you ask about "authentic" Texas BBQ wood, you might get different answers. Post oak, mesquite and pecan are all used regularly depending on availability. I actually use a combination of the three for most cooks, but use only pecan the most when I use a single wood. My advice is to cook with what is available and compare the taste with other woods that you might have shipped in for samples. I think that you will find that the meat prep and cooking method/temps are more important than the type of wood. As mentioned before, post is a subset of the white oak family. The difference is more about how it burns than how it tastes in my experience. It is harder than other whites, so it can burn longer. It can also smolder more if not burned hot enough causing an acrid flavor. Best of luck to you whichever way you go.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #13
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Contact some local tree trimming companies and let them know what you are interested in. Most just mulch what they cut.

You could be like me, looking for pecan in a prt of the country that doesn't have pecan but tons of everything else.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #14
krex1010
is One Chatty Farker

With some basic knowledge on your local trees combined with a small bow saw in your vehicle, you'll never have to buy smoke wood again.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #15
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Use local sourced Oak it's an "only your hairdresser will know" situation and keep you overhead low. FIW you can't make real TX BBQ anywhere but TX.

Thanks from:--->