Pellet Grill Search

mdWhistler

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a pellet grill and trying to narrow my choices down.

After a lot of reading and researching I have a small list of the following:

Pitts and Spitts 850/1250
Blaz'n Grid Iron
Smokin Brothers 30/36

I am looking at these specific models since they fit in my budget and have a cooking area that I am looking for while not taking up as much room as others. I have looked at MAK and Yoder but the Yoder will probably take up more room than I am wanting and the MAK One Star doesn't have as much cooking surface as the options on my list which may be an issue, and the Two Star is over my budget. I know MAK seems to have the most smoke based on everything I have read and overcomes the lack of smoke that most pellet grills seem to have.

My question to the brethren is, do the options on my list come close to what the MAK can offer? The PS 1250 will be at the upper limit of my budget. The main cuts I will be cooking will be brisket, pork butts, ribs, chicken wings and thighs. The brisket is the biggest issue as I usually get a 16 to 18 lb full packer which is why I am looking for something a bit bigger than the MAK.

Don't have a chance to check any of these out in person so using you all as my guides to help me with my choice.

Last info, budget is around $2200, will do cooks for up to 30 people several times a year, and wanting a pellet grill for the convenience factor as I have a 4 year old running wild and being able to do longer overnight cooks without having to worry about feeding the fire as often is really appealing, but I still want a good amount of smoke.

Thanks in advance,

MD

I have cooking experience on 2 of the 3 mentioned (smokin bros and blazn), and checked out the pitts and spitts at a local store a couple weeks ago. If I was making a purchase based on your 3 I would cross the pitts and spitts off first. I thought I would be impressed with the build but was not at all. Not that it was bad, but just didn't stand out as premium in any way.

Smokin bros are great. I know the owner a bit as full disclosure, but they really are a great grill. Especially with the Savannah stoker controller.

Blazn are similar build and look wise to Yoder. Good grills. Built well. Cook well.

Smokin bros or blazn will serve you well.

Looking at purchasing a pellet grill and trying to narrow my choices down.

After a lot of reading and researching I have a small list of the following:

Pitts and Spitts 850/1250
Blaz'n Grid Iron
Smokin Brothers 30/36

I have looked at MAK and Yoder but the Yoder will probably take up more room than I am wanting and the MAK One Star doesn't have as much cooking surface as the options on my list which may be an issue, and the Two Star is over my budget. I know MAK seems to have the most smoke based on everything I have read and overcomes the lack of smoke that most pellet grills seem to have.

My question to the brethren is, do the options on my list come close to what the MAK can offer? The PS 1250 will be at the upper limit of my budget. The main cuts I will be cooking will be brisket, pork butts, ribs, chicken wings and thighs. The brisket is the biggest issue as I usually get a 16 to 18 lb full packer which is why I am looking for something a bit bigger than the MAK.

MD

The MAK has 429 sq in on the main grate, but you can add a second grate about 6-7 inches above the main grate. This doubles the space to 858 sq in. You probably already know that, but I thought I’d throw it in

Good luck with your search!

I don't have any experience with the first two. I have a Smokin Bros 24PP and really like it. Quality construction, holds heat well and cooks like a champ!

I don't have any experience with the first two. I have a Smokin Bros 24PP and really like it. Quality construction, holds heat well and cooks like a champ!

Based on this comment and the one above it, I would go with SB. I know NOTHING about them, but I do about Blazn'. Blazn' F'd all the brick and mortar stores OVERNIGHT that sold their grills. They went direct only. That's a perfectly fine business move, but they didn't give the brick and mortar any time to figure out a new cooker to carry in the store. Plus, the brick and mortars (the good ones anyway) will still support the grills they sold.

I would run from Blazn'. Sinking ship.

I have a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850. I really like it. Not sure why anyone would cross it off of their list.

I have had a Smokin Bro’s 36 For 4 years now, love the Savanah Stocker controller and the smoker. Only thing I wished it had was slide out shelves.

Back