Sunday Spinning Shenanigans - Bird & Roulade (w/ Pr0n)

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Semi-live cooking thread. Thank you for experiencing this with me. :roll: :laugh:

After last night's BBQ chicken, elote, and heirloom tomato, we agreed that I needed to try my hand at a Rotisserie Roulade (a la SirPorkalot)

I couldn't find a full flank steak, but they had a skirt in the bargain bin. I'll start small and see how it plays out.

Need to augment that with something else... brathendl - a whole chicken, cooked a la Oktoberfest.

A4vD8mch.jpg

$5 is reasonable for an experiment of this nature.

w8cZO1Nl.jpg

Oe5FtjRl.jpg

More to follow.

Pulled the bird. Let her rest while we ate lunch. Put the munchkin down for nap.

Time to break down this chicken. - Was worried that she'd been over cooked / burnt.

FIdb9aTl.jpg

Skin was a little "over crispy" here and there, but the flavor was ridiculous.

NbMxANil.jpg

This takes me back to Hahnenfest in Queidersbach (Link to Facebook page for the event)

This is the crazy rotisserie setup I remember from the fest.

th5pWKjl.jpg

Almost time to get busy on that attempt at roulade.

OK, gotta ask - What's the bungee cord thingee :noidea:

I bought a more than lifetime supply of butcher twine @ Shamrock Foods a while back, I'm giving some away

It's a replacement for butcher's twine that CINCHOUSE bought about 12 years ago. It works well, but think I need to get some butcher's twine.

May have to work out a trade of some sort, now that I can claim Burqueño status.

I have some Okie China and silverware to contribute. Will that pay for my plate?

Your livin’ right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Didn't have my choice of meats today - had to roll with a mechanically tenderized skirt vs. a full flank that I could butterfly.

After tasting several rub and seasoning options, I rolled with 3 Rivers All Purpose Rub/Seasoning.

nyD9ItEl.jpg

Garlic & Herb cream cheese is in order, followed by baby spinach, and feta crumbles

PqyAD7dl.jpg

ckFC9EPl.jpg

I tried rolling it long ways... just not enough real estate that I could really spin this thing.

gVtgFPxl.jpg

Rolling it on the short edge worked much better. Used the "extra piece" of meat to seal the deal.

cUDSFfDl.jpg

It's resting in the fridge until I get the kettle going again in about an hour.

Hope you folks are having a great Sunday afternoon. It's generally quiet here with only the afternoon NFL game on TV to keep me company.

More to come.

Kind regards and thin blue.

Family up from naps earlier than expected. Asked me to get the ball rolling on dinner.

Kettle still warm from cooking chicken with some live coals. Too easy.

I applied some additional 3 Rivers All-Purpose Seasoning/Rub to the outside as it slowly spun the first revolution. It's running (by feel) somewhere in the 250F range... trying to stay slow.

C5Xne0Fl.jpg

2wQoh2al.jpg

All that is looking great, Marc! :clap2: My rotis temps, esp. with chicks, tend to run away from me a little bit as well, so I usually start moving coals, rotating the ring, etc. The beePh is looking very promising as well!
& - not totally related, but thanks to you and Sako I finally broke down and got Alubkirky green/red rub/jelly...:shocked:...I should have listened sooner :doh: - great stuff!

Hope you and yer crew are having a great day!

My rotis temps, esp. with chicks, tend to run away from me a little bit as well, so I usually start moving coals, rotating the ring, etc. ... I finally broke down and got Alubkirky green/red rub/jelly...:shocked:...I should have listened sooner :doh: - great stuff!

I had some chicken fat that was apparently hitting the same batch of coals every revolution, and it flared up on me. Lessons learned.

I still need to go re-stock (and get some for Brethren) on the Albukirky front... wait... Jelly!? Lovely seasonings, available at most Sprouts locations 'round here. Fun to see Brethren in other parts of the US making amazing grub with the local ABQ flavors.

Cheers, John! Low & slow seems to be perfect for this.

MMB6p3Ql.jpg

It's a replacement for butcher's twine that CINCHOUSE bought about 12 years ago. It works well, but think I need to get some butcher's twine.

May have to work out a trade of some sort, now that I can claim Burqueño status.

With the prongs/forks you have, do you need to tie the chook at all?

Oh yes.

98Z3XZml.jpg

Dinner is served (w/ a broken chicken leg from the brathendl and a really nice salad, to include roquefort crumbles and vinaigrette)

GHEl8s1l.jpg

John et al - CINCHOUSE asked about doing this with blue cheese instead of Feta. Any concerns with different cheeses having the propensity to "slide out/ooze out" of the rolled steak vs. others? i.e. - Should I use Danish Blue vs. Roquefort (random choices, BTW) because one "holds better" vs. the other?

Thanks for the inspiration for this one, John. Next time, I need to join in the bacon and green onion brigade.

With the prongs/forks you have, do you need to tie the chook at all?

I have no idea, Titch. I'm new at this. Seemed to work great!

Y'all have a great Sunday evening and a kick-arse week!

I still need to go re-stock (and get some for Brethren) on the Albukirky front... wait... Jelly!? Lovely seasonings, available at most Sprouts locations 'round here. Fun to see Brethren in other parts of the US making amazing grub with the local ABQ flavors.
Been to Patio & Hearth yet? They've got the most stocked display of Kirk's offerings - South side of Menaul, just west of Juan Tabo... Don't let a Yoder follow you home, though:rolleyes:

Back