Whole Pork Shoulder Question

sfisch

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Got a 8lb whole pork shoulder I want to throw on the WSM late saturday night to pull for Sunday dinner. It has a pretty thick fat cap on one side,
Do I cut the fat completely off or just thin it down some?

Thanks
Scott

We trim to less than a quarter inch and then score with knife slits about an inch square. Seems to leave more area for seasoning to hide without fat washing away. Better bark. Steve.

I don't trim any of it. I leave it as it is and then eat cracklin's. mmm. grilled pork fat and skin. Them's good eating.

I cook whole boneless shoulders sometimes. I not only trim them but I also cut them in half and trim fat from the inside. Cut in half, they cook about as long as butts. And there's still plenty of fat left for moistening the meat. But maybe the shoulders I get are flabbier than the ones you get - 8# doesn't seem big enough to be a whole shoulder. Seems like 12-13# is more like what I've been buying.

seattlepitboss

Trim the fat??? Why thats perposterous. Thats like grilling tofu whats the point? No my friend leave all that fat on there, smoke until it just falls apart and the fat that God didn't intend for you to eat will just fall off. The rest is a gift from Him.:wink:

Ok, Ok, the fat stays and I'll score it with cross marks to look pretty,
The label says its a "pork shoulder picnic", so I guess its not a whole pork shoulder but it is the first time I've cooked one, usually do bone in butts.
Thanks
Scott

Back