MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
Kade
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kade
Default Knives

Anyone have any recommendations for a knife that cuts through rib cartilage easily? Thanks in advance.
Kade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Bbq_lover
Full Fledged Farker

Cleaver!
Bbq_lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-27-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

You might try a breaking knife
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
thirdeye

Any good boning knife will work just fine. The handle is just as important as the blade itself because you want a good grip and solid control when cutting through cartilage. But to answer your question, the best knife I own for this job is a fishing utility knife (not a fillet knife) which has a scalloped blade and an excellent grip. This knife is for field dressing large and/or bony fish and was in the Kershaw 'Blade Trader' series which was discontinued years ago, but they pop up on eBay from time to time.

My traveling knife roll, also from Kershaw, has a more aggressive 'utility' blade (far right) and this set is also out of production. These pop up on eBay as well and are a great investment.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 12-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I use a 7" Old Hickory butcher knife. The carbon steel blade gets very sharp and the knife has the weight to power through cartilage easily.
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
16Adams

Japanese Deba is what Mr Franklin uses in his video featuring spare ribs (I think that’s what he says) There’s a highly rated deba on Amazon for $15, others same high ratings up to $200

I use a Hinkles chef knife amongst others for heavy cutting, it also does nice delicate work

#neverquitsmoking
16Adams is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #7
SmokinAussie

I use one like ThirdEye.

Goes without sayin... keep it sharp. Get a stone and a steel if you don't have one. No point in having the right knife for the job and it's blunt.

Cheers!

Bill

SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I fell in love with this little beauty. Use is from trimming up briskets to ribs

https://www.amazon.com/Boning-Knife-...en&sr=1-1&th=1

Old 12-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #9
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kade View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for a knife that cuts through rib cartilage easily? Thanks in advance.
Any sharp one. There are no magic knives.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #10
16Adams

Just ordered the 15$ Japanese Deba. I found interesting the raw wood handle as wife enjoys arts/crafts. I’ll secure the blade and perhaps she’ll put a nice finish.

TSUBAZO Japanese Deba Kitchen Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UCE81K..._jSF6FbWYDTE7T

#neverquitsmoking
16Adams is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #11
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Just ordered the 15$ Japanese Deba. I found interesting the raw wood handle as wife enjoys arts/crafts. I’ll secure the blade and perhaps she’ll put a nice finish.

TSUBAZO Japanese Deba Kitchen Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UCE81K..._jSF6FbWYDTE7T
I have a somewhat similar knife that I bought in Vietnam from the guy that made it. It is laminated iron over a carbon steel center. The handle was some kind of white wood. I put about six or eight light coats of clear polyurethane varnish on it, lightly sanding each coat and the result is fantastic. Like the handle is covered in liquid. I'd encourage your wife to do something similar.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #12
gcs
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't let me keep you from buying a knife, but any sharp, sturdy knife will do...
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote