MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #31
Lynn Dollar
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
I disagree.

Draft (airflow) in an offset is everything.

Baffles or separation between the firebox and the cook chamber is key to even temps, not airflow

You could not have been more wrong.

Baffle was the problem.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #32
Lynn Dollar
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
You're the guy over here burning your meat. Perhaps....just perhaps, you don't have it all figured out the way you think you do.

And you were also wrong.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #33
Lynn Dollar
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post
People overthink smoking in every way possible and make it harder than it needs to be.

Nope. People just want to get better barbecue and are willing to work at it. No such thing as " over thinking" .

Old 07-26-2021, 07:07 PM   #34
CALWLDLIF
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rick

Glad I saw this thread.
Very timely because I just tested a mod to my smoke stack.

I have an Oklahoma Joe longhorn 3 in 1 combo.
To those who don't know about this model, basically a longhorn chamber was walled off 1/2 the length to put a gas grill in.
So basically the smoke chamber is half the length of an average one with a grill occupying the other half.
Seems the fire box is full size though to feed the smoker.

After insulating the smoker because of temp issues I had to really close the exhaust damper to get some heat to the grill. The exhaust stack was very high in the chamber and most of the hot air was leaving the firebox and going straight up to the top and running along the top out the stack.
The built in thermometer in about center of the chamber always read 50-75 deg higher than the grill temp.
The best I could get damping down the stack was 25-35 higher than the grate.

I just used grill temp to cook.

I got the impression after many cooks that all my smoke flavor was going up the stack.
I must say that I could place meat close to the firebox and not burn it.
Bark was balanced top and bottom of meat and no real meat burning that I can remember.

I had the impression the smoker was just an oven.
After reading and watching vids I believe some flow of smoke is crucial to good flavor and tender meat.

Long intro, sorry.

Anyway, I modded the stack to reach grill height and moved it from the back of the chamber to the center.
I guess it took 8-10in's of pipe to do this.

I created extreme flow/draw and could run higher grate temps than the top of the chamber. Never been able to do that.
The built in thermo, center, reads lower than the grate.

Problem, I lost a lot of area close to the firebox because now the heat comes straight out and doesn't rise like it did before, it rises some quite a ways from the firebox.

Also, I think the bottom of the meat will be hotter than the top. not good.
I was able to damper the stack and balance the top of chamber temp and the grill temp.
I let/want the higher thermom to run hotter by 10-12 degs than the grill to I don't burn the bottom.
I am able to adjust and get that to happen steadily.

Draw back? Lost a good amount of cooking area close to the firebox.
Chamber was not that big to start.

I have not done a cook yet I spent time trying to figure out what changes happened.

One Last thing, I have to have a TINY fire, from insulation and keeping smoke from going straight out the top this cooker runs very efficient.
CALWLDLIF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2021, 08:09 PM   #35
1Gradymaci
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jerry Adams

Get your head around the different Heat
Conductive,
Convection,
Radiant. I think Sonny Moberg has it figured out..
But I bet Matt at Mill Scale learned a lot from Franklin, but does not control airflow with FB vents.. JD also uses no vents on his FB, So the mystery is,adapt to what you have if you want to run a offset.. I like small fires in my insulated box personally.
1Gradymaci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2021, 09:09 PM   #36
MichPHX721
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Kelly

275 on a Brazos is really hot. I run my Brazos at 225 to 240 range and that’s with the door open. I just use smaller splits. Burn a small, hot, clean fire and keep your temperature down lower and I believe you will be very happy with the results.
MichPHX721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2021, 09:45 PM   #37
rm41400
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post
People overthink smoking in every way possible and make it harder than it needs to be.
A lot of truth to this.

Once I learned the basics (much from you brethren) it seems my cooking has gotten better the less I stress and just roll with it. I break a lot of the rules and the end product is still the same when I trust my gut.

I use to cook less because everything had to be perfect according to the “rules”.

The more I cook and don’t stress the little details the better I seem to do.
Santa Maria 42”
rm41400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2021, 10:01 PM   #38
oldgfbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : G-man
Default Enough is Enough Air Flow

How much air flow? Well, how long is a rope?

Seems to me every cook is different in some way, effected by your fire, ambient temperature, kind and age of wood, charcoal, what one is cooking and how many of them. And in my particular case, having a smoker I made myself while learning to MIG weld. It is in no way as nice or efficient as one professionally made. Would I do things differently the next time? You bet. But, it's mine and I know it like the back of my hand.

I have experienced at one time or another most of the points mentioned in this thread, ie fire too big, too small, not enough air flow, too much air flow, fire to close to cooking chamber, etc. IMO, juggling the adjustments is part of the artform of smoking meat. If your equipment does not give you the adjustment you want, add it to your rig.

In the beginning there was too much variance in temps over the cook chamber, and also wide swings in heat from fire. To address these issues tuning plates were installed (sorry they are dirty in the photo), a variable speed blower was added and so was a charcoal box. It has given me the flexibility to use a charcoal if I wish or burn wood directly on the grate, increase air flow or reduce it. The point of all this is just about anything can produce the Q you want. It's just about figuring out how to use the equipment your cooking on at the moment.

At some point I will move the smokestack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker-wide.jpg (52.6 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg smoker-tuning.jpg (37.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg smoker-fire.jpg (70.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg smoker-blower.jpg (94.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg smoker-stack-hole.jpg (71.8 KB, 115 views)

Old 07-26-2021, 10:59 PM   #39
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gradyma ci View Post
Conductive,
Convection,
But I bet Matt at Mill Scale learned a lot from Franklin, but does not control airflow with FB vents.. JD also uses no vents on his FB, So the mystery is,adapt to what you have if you want to run a offset.. I like small fires in my insulated box personally.
So did you order a Moberg. A few weeks ago you were still deciding among that and the Mil Scale.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2021, 05:03 AM   #40
Lynn Dollar
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm41400 View Post
A lot of truth to this.

Once I learned the basics (much from you brethren) it seems my cooking has gotten better the less I stress and just roll with it. I break a lot of the rules and the end product is still the same when I trust my gut.

I use to cook less because everything had to be perfect according to the “rules”.

The more I cook and don’t stress the little details the better I seem to do.

No, that's not what this is about. This is about improving a smoker to get better barbecue.

If Aaron Franklin had not " stressed the details " Texas barbecue would not be what it is today.

If ya don't want to work at it, get a pellet pooper.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:09 AM   #41
Lynn Dollar
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichPHX721 View Post
275 on a Brazos is really hot. I run my Brazos at 225 to 240 range and that’s with the door open. I just use smaller splits. Burn a small, hot, clean fire and keep your temperature down lower and I believe you will be very happy with the results.

Thanks anyway, but I don't need any " lessons " . I cooked on it for three years.

If you're having trouble understanding what this thread is about , just watch the end of this vid. Raleigh will draw pictures for you, to make it easier. Some of the replies I got in this thread, were from people who did not know how much they did not know. Which is pretty typical on the internet.

Vid will start at the pertinent point.

https://youtu.be/v9dMnl0G-z0?t=547

Old 07-27-2021, 05:11 AM   #42
Lynn Dollar
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gradymaci View Post
Conductive,
Convection,

Ohh, I got it figured out, eventually, without any help from this forum. I was on the right track in this thread.

I just did not have the confidence or courage to cut up this Brazos, though since this thread was posted, others have done that with good success.

Here was what I thought needed to be done . I posted this back in Jan

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...1&postcount=12

And this fella had the skills and courage to do what I could not do , he just finished this mod , this month

https://youtu.be/KcM9bResWFM

Last edited by Lynn Dollar; 07-27-2021 at 05:36 AM..

Old 07-27-2021, 07:16 AM   #43
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I'm glad you got a handle on your air flow situation.

The frustrating thing to me is all the companies design/build their units differently- there are some commonalities -but they had reasons for making the changes: baffles, throat openings, firebox design, stack dimensions, collectors, elbows- it is very confusing.

It's little wonder that some of the Brethren's suggestions did not agree with what you postulated and wondered about. It's ok to disagree-

Old 07-27-2021, 07:22 AM   #44
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

nevermind

Last edited by sudsandswine; 07-27-2021 at 07:27 AM..
sudsandswine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #45
Lynn Dollar
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post

It's little wonder that some of the Brethren's suggestions did not agree with what you postulated and wondered about. It's ok to disagree-

But not make it personal. And get talked down to, when all I was attempting was to spur discussion.