My take on pork belly burnt ends

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Made this for the Chicago summer bash. I started by smoking the butt whole a couple days before.

IMG-20190801-134145.jpg

For thise insterested, my notes in this cook was
Dry rub
2 toasted guajillo
2 toasted anchor
2 Tbsp whole mustard seed
2 Tbsp whole black pepper
2 Tbsp whole coriander
2 Tbsp coffee beans
2 Tbsp whole Rosemary ground

Grind above in a burr mill

Add
2 Tbsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp oregano
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne
1 Tbsp thyme

1/2 bulb garlic through garlic press

Process - smear bottom (not fat) side of pork with garlic and sprinkle with rub.
Flip, score fat layer and spread garlic. Add generous amounts of rub.

BBQ Brethren adjustments
1045 - On the cooker at
1245 - temp on lid, 310°F, opened lid vent a bit and took picture.
1300 - put remote read thermo in meat and cooker.
1315 - cooker temp 441° - closed vents a bit more. Meat at 170°.
1340 - cooker at 325° and meat at 183°. Need to check with Thermapen.
1345 - 177--180° via Thermapen so I pulled it. Really good!
1400 (?) bacon on
Decided to cut part of the slab off (about 6") and smoke a bit longer.
1420 - meat at 160° and cooker at 340°F
1515 320°/162° cooker/meat Will check bacon.
1707 297°/185°
Ask if this leaves questions.

Before the meet I cubed them and put in two alu pans. The pork belly was sooooo good just as it was, I only sauced one pan. That pan got a mix of about 1C Sweet Baby Ray's and 1/4 C honey. I also added a couple Tbsp Chili powder. Then I just put them in the 26" kettle indirect at about 325°F.

IMG-20190803-115527.jpg

I served from time to time and then they finally looked "done" I put them in a Dutch Oven (to keep hot and keep flies away ;) ) and served.

IMG-20190803-143434.jpg

I hope everyone enjoyed them.

Edit: And my entry in the Throwdown.
"Vote for me and all your wildest dreams will come true."

Last edited:
Those were great, Hank! Thanks for making them!

:thumb:
My take is they are always good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well, I guess I won't lurk more than a day.

I also like the Dutch oven idea. I am planning a small batch of these for Saturday. After cubing the pork belly raw the first time and smoking it to an internal temp of around 150-160 before cubing the second time...I prefer the second approach. I also prefer to avoid those aluminum pans (I occasionally have a propensity to frugality...but I fight it valiantly). Has anyone tried finishing them in a Dutch oven? I have one I think is large enough, just concerned that as it heats up it might cause some of the cubes to overcook.

Well, I guess I won't lurk more than a day.
Welcome to the BBQ-Brethren!

I also like the Dutch oven idea. ... I also prefer to avoid those aluminum pans (I occasionally have a propensity to frugality...but I fight it valiantly). Has anyone tried finishing them in a Dutch oven?
One of the benefits of cooking them in the pans is that they give up some of the fat. I take them out with a slotted spatula which leaves a lot of the rendered fat behind. The Dutch oven is there mainly to keep them hot while they're served.

You could finish the cook in the DO instead of the pans and serve with a slotted spoon or spatula. I think you'd be less likely to burn with all of that cast iron. Aluminum pans can Heat Right Up because there is no thermal mass.

FWIW, I first used Dutch Ovens when camping with scouts. They were great on winter campouts because they would keep food hot when the temperature was below freezing. (At least long enough for me to eat. :biggrin1: )

You did good there, nice work.

They look tasty. I've never smoked the belly first, usually cut up, sprinkle rub, and straight on the smoker. I've only done them twice though. I'll try this next time.

Back