MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #31
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Al Pastor on a Rotisserie/WSM

Hi OK got it now.
Thanks DanB

Old 08-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #32
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi All How long do you think the Al Pastor marinate will last in the fridge?
Thanks Dan

Old 08-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #33
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi All How long do you think the Al Pastor marinate will last in the fridge?
Thanks Dan
Hi All Finally got the guajillo,ancho chiles. I'd like to make up the marinade up ahead of time so I can adjust the heat.How long do you think it last in the fridge?
Is Mexican oregano necessary or just use regular oregano?
Thanks Dan

Last edited by DanB; 08-20-2019 at 03:58 PM..
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #34
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Id feel fine using it 3 to 5 days...maybe longer...sometime things with peppers in them actually end up tasting better after a few days of letting all the flavors mingle.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-21-2019, 05:18 AM   #35
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

Dagnabbit... You folks have me seriously considering doing this over the weekend...

Dan, if you have regular oregano, it'll be fine. You're headed in the right direction, and I appreciate that you're trying to take care of momma, too. I also appreciate the fact that you're tasting things as you go along. That's tops.

Keep on rockin', man. I really look forward to your upcoming cook.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:28 AM   #36
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi All I'm also looking forward to the Al Pastor cook..Got some time to go, first I got to do some beef ribs to try out a new rub, then on too Al Pastor. Will post the Al Pastor cook, when I finally get around to it.

Any more thoughts or idea's on the Al Pastor will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks DanB

Old 08-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #37
ShadowDriver

Quick follow-up, as I JUST made Moose's Marinade above:

Moose mentioned Pineapple Juice in the verbiage, but I didn't see it in the ingredients list. I added 1/2 cup, and it seemed about right.

DanB - The peppers noted in the recipe have lots of flavor (especially when combined with all the other goodness), but NO heat. My 3 year old sounds about like your wife on the subject, and I'm confident she'll destroy the al pastor when we cook it.

I seriously want(ed) to just stand there in the kitchen, eating the marinade with a spoon after I tasted it.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #38
zippy12
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post

Moose mentioned Pineapple Juice in the verbiage, but I didn't see it in the ingredients list. I added 1/2 cup, and it seemed about right.

DanB - The peppers noted in the recipe have lots of flavor (especially when combined with all the other goodness), but NO heat. My 3 year old sounds about like your wife on the subject, and I'm confident she'll destroy the al pastor when we cook it.

I seriously want(ed) to just stand there in the kitchen, eating the marinade with a spoon after I tasted it.
your hitting the mark man!

Old 08-24-2019, 06:15 AM   #39
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post

Good to hear ..I got the beef ribs done,, so next it is onto the AlPastor. Did you cook it yet, if so what did you cook on?
Thanks DanB

Last edited by DanB; 08-24-2019 at 06:30 AM..

Old 08-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #40
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi All Well I finally got around to making the W/F marinade for the Al Pastor..I had to add 9.6 oz of pineapple juice and 8 oz of orange juice, to it make mild enough for my wife to like. My wife was the tester...I have a 4 lb bone in butt to sliced up when I ready in the next few days. Will post back with the pics and the results.

Thanks All Dan

Old 08-26-2019, 03:26 PM   #41
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Did you cook it yet, if so what did you cook on?
Dan,

Here's the cook thread, to include my attempt at building a poor man's trompo.

Have fun!

Old 08-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #42
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Good job on Al Pastor
on the Trompo what holds the skewer on? My Al Pastor is on for tomorrow going on the rotisserie.
Thinking about making a Trompo one of these days, "IF" the Al Pastor passes the test.
Thanks Dan

Old 08-27-2019, 06:47 AM   #43
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi All The pork is in marinade, so later today the cook is on.I will be using a rotisserie on WSM 22, what cook temps should I be looking for? I was thinking 275*?
Thanks Dan

Last edited by DanB; 08-27-2019 at 06:57 AM..

Old 08-28-2019, 07:05 AM   #44
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi All Well I finally got around to cooking the Pork Al Pastor.It took longer then I expected,next time put it on he fire earlier..Maybe on a Trompo. Wife liked it so I think that is a plus, I thought it loss some of its taste by adding more of the juice..One would think with all the ingredients it should have been tastier, but then again my taste buds are shot. I did put some of the marinade on the 2nd Taco to kick it up some. To me the best part was the grilled pineapple. I will definitely do it al pastor again, since I still have some peppers, and add so much extra juice. I also have to do a much better job on slicing next time
Thanks All Dan
Ready for the Rotisserie

1st cut

Chopped

Ready to eat :)

Last edited by DanB; 08-28-2019 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 06:11 AM   #45
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Al Pastor

Hi All I need suggestions on what to make with the left over Al Pastor? I was thinking maybe Enchiladas, just need a good enchilada sauce.
Thanks DanB