Thermapen or the 20 Dollar version?

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
What is the difference (other than price) between the $100+ Thermapen and the $15-$30 others? BTW I looked to see if I could search the site for any discussion on this topic but found no way to do that. Instruction?

Tried the cheapies, they're slower but not necessarily any less accurate.

I use the Lavatools Javelin now, it's a bit less than a thermapen and near instant.

The difference it about 10 seconds or so.

Have had both, when I broke my Lava and decided to drop the coin for the Thermapen and honestly I have been extremely satisfied. I feel like its been justified.

I wasted enough $ on cheap thermos I could have bought the Thermapen and been done with it. The Thermapen is instant and accurate. Catch an open box sale and save a few $.

I have both, the cheapie as a back-up. I honestly cannot stand using the cheapie - don't trust it and it takes too long to feel good about the reading.

This is especially true if you are using it to temp steaks or other grilled items as the window to ideal doneness is much smaller. There is just no comparison to a real Thermapen IMHO

This says it all.

I have both, the cheapie as a back-up. I honestly cannot stand using the cheapie - don't trust it and it takes too long to feel good about the reading.

This is especially true if you are using it to temp steaks or other grilled items as the window to ideal doneness is much smaller. There is just no comparison to a real Thermapen IMHO

I have had many cheapo instant reads. I still have some in a drawer. This last year I invested in an orange Thermapen. As everyone knows by now, the orange ones are the absolute finest. I love it. I forget I even have the cheapos now.

I have cheapies and other probes (for a project). Thermapen for the win. Buy it once.

Like everyone has said, the Thermapen is instant and accurate... I love mine (Camo version, so that makes it really cool! :wink:)

They almost always have some sort of open box or refurb sale on the original thermapens (and sometimes the MK4) but if you don't to spend that amount of money, get a thermapop. Just as accurate, a little slower, but cheaper.

I have a couple of their less expensive ThermoPops. Always accurate and gives a reading in 3 sec instead of 1. $80 cheaper, I can wait 2 more seconds.

I use my ThermaPen all the time, but have gifted a few ThermoPops and everyone loves them so that may be a cheaper (but still fast/accurate) approach.

The biggest advantage is the 2-3 second reading. Is it really worth X amount of dollars to wait an extra 7 seconds for a reading? The answer is Yes! Just imagine having to check 8-10 different temperatures on your grill/smoker and having to wait 10-15 seconds per reading. Your grill/smoker temperature is going to run rampant or drop with that much time taking temps.

I've owned a Thermapen for the last 10 years. It doesn't owe me a dime. Dead accurate and gets used all the time. (One of the best tools you can have in your kitchen) You'll find yourself using it more than just your grill. They're expensive up front. I've broken it down so far and it has cost me roughly 70 cents a month so far in ownership. Hard to balk at the upfront price as it only has cost me 70 cents a month. Not bad for a tool that gets used every cook.

I picked up a Javelin Pro Duo for $32. Back lit, 2-3 second readings, rotating screen, and has a magnet. You can't beat it for the money. I've owned it for a year and has been perfect. Made in China unlike the Thermapen that is made in England. So who knows how long the Javelin Pro Duo will last but I don't see any issue arising. I know others who have owned them for years without issue. Definitely look into the Javelin Pro Duo if you haven't. The best bang for your buck instant read thermometer.

no regrets buying a thermapen mk4. also gifted some thermopops and kept one for myself. just as accurate and dang near as fast. the pop can't be beat for the money

Thermapen for the win.

Just wait for the "open box" sales they have regularly.

We usually post them up here when it happens.

I used cheap thermos for a long time until I scored a Thermapen classic on sale. I love it and there is no turning back. I really like that I can check multiple meats very quickly. 10+ pieces of chicken on the grill and not keep the lid off for very long.

What is the difference (other than price) between the $100+ Thermapen and the $15-$30 others? BTW I looked to see if I could search the site for any discussion on this topic but found no way to do that. Instruction?

I have 4-5 of the cheap ones..once I bought a thermapen I understood the price difference immediately. Do yourself a favor and get one.

Back