Smoked Spaghetti: Quick & Cheap

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
20111031_Spaghetti_0743.jpg

Here's a quick and cheap meal that I put together tonight on the Weber Kettle... smoked spaghetti! I started out by cooking a 16oz box of spaghetti noodles. I greased my 10" cast iron skillet and dumped in the spaghetti, one jar of sauce, and topped it with shredded sharp cheddar... I put it on the kettle over indirect heat with a chunk or two of apple at between 350-375° for about 25 minutes or so...

20111031_Spaghetti_0745.jpg

When the spaghetti was done, I uncovered the kettle and put on some buttered garlic/parmesan bread on the direct side and toasted it on the grill... Dinner for two with leftovers for seven bux and change... with leftovers!

I've done the same thing except before putting the noodles in the skillet I coated the noodles in whipped eggs. This caused the noodles to bond together and I was able to serve slices of spaghetti. I also made homemade smoked meatballs.

That's an excellent idea! I might try it with a roux of some sort next time around and see what happens.

Going to give that a try with some moink balls!!! Thanks for the idea.

Done this already too! Good stuff... :thumb:

Can be done for even less if you make your own sauce. Good stuff though! :clap2:

that is some great looking spaghetti there JM gives me something too try to see if I can make it work.

that looks good. I like to make "Cincinnati" style chili and put that over my spaghetti.

I've done the same thing except before putting the noodles in the skillet I coated the noodles in whipped eggs. This caused the noodles to bond together and I was able to serve slices of spaghetti. I also made homemade smoked meatballs.

I have read about pizza made with spaghetti instead of bread crust and have thought about the noodles holding together well enough to form a crust like structure. I think your whipped egg coating may be just the trick. Its said to be better for you but I think a whole grain would even be a better choice, at least for us diabetics.
Dave

Here's a quick and cheap meal that I put together tonight on the Weber Kettle... smoked spaghetti! I started out by cooking a 16oz box of spaghetti noodles. I greased my 10" cast iron skillet and dumped in the spaghetti, one jar of sauce, and topped it with shredded sharp cheddar... I put it on the kettle over indirect heat with a chunk or two of apple at between 350-375° for about 25 minutes or so...

When the spaghetti was done, I uncovered the kettle and put on some buttered garlic/parmesan bread on the direct side and toasted it on the grill... Dinner for two with leftovers for seven bux and change... with leftovers!

Did the apple smoke come through? Could you taste it?

Always giving the brethren inspiration JM! Great looking meal!

Whoa..JM..finally I found something on the brethren forum that is a parting of the ways!:shocked:
Must be all the Italian influence in my childhood brothers, but you'd need a handgun and my offspring to get me to eat that!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

No offence!:becky:

Whoa..JM..finally I found something on the brethren forum that is a parting of the ways!:shocked:
Must be all the Italian influence in my childhood brothers, but you'd need a handgun and my offspring to get me to eat that!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

No offence!:becky:

Is it the unorthodox nature of cooking it on the grill or the cheddar? Honestly, a little smoke with the spaghetti is delicious, but I would agree that I couldn't put cheddar on pasta!

Is it the unorthodox nature of cooking it on the grill or the cheddar? Honestly, a little smoke with the spaghetti is delicious, but I would agree that I couldn't put cheddar on pasta!

Honestly Kyle corn...it is my purist attitude regarding all things pasta and not the OP.
I love pasta, my reaction was "WTH, there is perfectly good pasta under that junk??":laugh: before I could think of anything else...definitely "It's me, not you".

Many things I react negatively to here:
!) I like pasta just before al dente,"Standing up" the Italians say.
So this is not only cooked, then it is cooked again.
2) Cheddar and a heap of it, for my taste no business being anywhere near pasta.
3) Bottled sauce also no business near pasta.

Made JM's smoked Spaghetti recipe today with ground beef and leftover pulled pork in the sauce.

Cooked on the egg at 300 for 30 minutes.

EXCELLENT!

For those purist that could not put shredded cheese on your pasta..you have NO idea what you are missing. The smokey flavor really makes this dish. If you like smoked Mac and Cheese, you gotta try this.

No Pron as mine looked exactly like JM's.

JM, Thanks for sharing, something I'll have to try next week.

Thanks for the idea....

Back