• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question on Startup BBQ Supply Store

AlanK

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering opening a BBQ supply store when I retire. I know it may not be a money making venture, but I am interested in possibly doing this . If i do proceed, I would carry rubs, grills, supplies, etc.

Does anyone with experience know approximately how much money it would take to get a store like this started? I know there are a lot of variables, but my goal would be to open with a good supply of products and inventory.

Thanks,
Alan

I don’t have any info to offer on costs, but I would be concerned with brick and mortar any venture at this time. We have become a fickle “amazon”society IMO. I order what I want and here tomorrow, I can research on my own so don’t need to talk to anyone and if it doesn’t meet my expectations I will go elsewhere. Again just my opinion, I have often dreamt of the same thing and I would believe this to be my dream job. I do wish you luck and I am following to see what responses you receive.

If you do open a store I would suggest selling on line. However look at BBQguy. That is your competition.

I wish I could help, but I have no idea on the actual question. I will say that I really like having a local bbq shop to go to. It is really nice to be able to go to a store and smell/taste the rubs or be able to actually put my hands on the product I am looking for. With that being said I have only made rub or other small purchases from my local shop.

We have a bbq supply store here in the Phoenix area that is a wonderful go-to place.
BBQ Island, in Tempe Arizona. Take a look at their place and you can see what a great looking place has in stock.

BBQ ISLAND TEMPE ARIXONA

Take a look at their website and store. You can get an idea of the breadth and width of their inventory. They also sell online. This is a great example of a bbq supply store that's knockin' it out of the park. They also offer cooking classes, have guest speakers come in and do events, and on holiday weekends they haul a bunch of their grilles and smokers outside and light 'em up

I can't give an answer to the cost question, only you can decide what to stock and how much, but I can give you a couple of pointers beyond that.

1.) If you're making it brick and mortar give people a reason to come in. That will be crucial. Do classes, demonstrations, whatever you can to get feet in the door. This is crucial, IMO.

2.) Like others have said, sell online. Don't limit yourself to "just" the brick and mortar. Use amazon,Facebook, INstagram, etc. as tools to move product.

My knee jerk response is that if you have to ask, it's probably too much. How familiar are you with small business operation? If not familiar, I'd suggest taking a class at a local community college. I'm sure they all have something. It will probably be the cheapest aspect of this venture (and possibly the most cost effective.)

I'd also be wary of using Amazon. They're in the driver's seat. If you come up with a truly successful product, there isn't much stopping them from coming up with something similar under their brand and cannibalizing your sales. They have a history of doing that.

If you do proceed - good luck!

I remember the "SmokinGuitarPlayer" and his store always had something on a big green egg outside that used to bring people into the store. He would give away whatever he was cooking. Just an idea 😎good luck.

Do you know how to make a small fortune these days in a Brick and Mortar business??

Start with a large one.

Best of luck, you gotta do what these guys say and do all the online / FB / etc stuff.

I'd guess between $100,000 and $250,000 when you consider renting a "good" location, decorating to fit your theme, fixtures, inventory, staff training, insurance, utilities and wages. Next you need a minimum of 6 months living expense to live, payroll and advertising. But before you commit to anything where are you going to get your inventory? You can't buy a case of rub here and a case of sauce there. You need to find a distributer that carries most of what you plan to stock. Next you need to find manufactures that will work with you on a "floor plan" of equipment. Otherwise you will be paying near retail for these price items. I've worked with several who had your dream of opening a retail outlet but were totally overwhelmed with what all is involved. Then look around and see how many startups have lasted more than a year. Goes back to "how to make a $1,000,000- start with $2,000,000."

Find a local S.C.O.R.E. Chapter in your area and talk to them about requirements to start a business. The acronym stands for Service Core of Retired Entrepreneurs. These guys have failed and succeeded in the self employment arena and can give you an idea what it takes to be successful. Passion for a hobby is a not enough alone to succeed.

Back